Chapter Twenty-Eight

Annabeth's POV-

"Annabeth!" Mom called from the living room. I was on the second floor, in my bedroom. "Come downstairs, I have something for you!"

I groaned inwardly before pulling myself up off my bed. I had previously been laying on my stomach, skimming some old history books. I slowly walked towards the stairs, and into the living room, before approaching my mother, who was standing with a slight grin, holding something behind her back.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"I got you a little something," she said, handing me the newest phone available. "Now, I want you to go out into the city and meet some new people!"

"Wow, Mom, I-I... I don't know what to say! Thank you!" I exclaimed, rushing to give her a hug, then hurrying back up to my room.

"You're welcome!" I heard her call back.

I quickly grabbed a bag and stashed some money, a granola bar and a book in it, along with the paper that had all my friends numbers on it. I skipped down the stairs and into the living room, where I came to a halt.

"How am I supposed to get into town? I can't drive and it's to far to walk. Could you drive me in?" I asked.

"Sure!" Mom says enthusiastically, grabbing the keys. "Lets go!"

*-*-*-*-*-*

"Bye, thanks!" I called as Mom drove away.

I quickly walked into a little coffee shop and sat down. A barista asked if I wanted anything and I politely waved her away. I dug through my bag, searching for my paper. Having found what she was looking for, she began setting up her phone, skipping through most stuff.

Finally, I was dialing Piper's number.

Ring... ring...

"Shh, guys, shut up! Hello?" Piper answered on the other side of the phone.

"Pipes!" I exclaim.

"Annabeth?!"

"Is that Annie?" I hear Thalia's voice coming closer.

There was some shuffling of the phone before Thalia is screeching in my ear.

"ANNABETH CHASE! HOW DARE YOU LEAVE WI--"

"Thals, it wasn't her fault!" someone, Percy I think, scolds Thalia before taking the phone.

"Anna-Annabeth?" he questions.

"Hi Seaweed Brain," I said with a small smile.

"Shove over lover boy, we have business to attend to!" Piper teased, before taking her phone back.

"Hi," I laughed.

"Hi," she laughed in response. "Okay, so we have a plan. Your mom doesn't know that you have our numbers, correct?"

"Yeah, I'm at some coffee shop right now. Why?" I questioned.

"Okay. Well here's what we're thinking. Does your mom still have Demeter's number?"

"I'm not sure. Maybe?"

"Okay, hopefully. So, Calypso's birthday is in a few days, so we want you to ask Athena if you can call and wish her a happy birthday, kinda as a test run."

"Sounds good. What's next?"

In the background, I hear Leo shout, "We're gonna kill Katie!"

"No we're not!" Piper amends. "We're going to pretend Katie is dead, and have a funeral. We'll have Demeter call Athena about a week after Calypso's birthday, since it's her daughter's 'funeral'. Then, we're going to invite you to the funeral. We were thinking that you could pretend to be a bit closer to Katie than usual, but not enough that your mom will want to come. Any thoughts?"

"Hmm..." I ponder. "That should work... I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't. Let's give it a go!"

"Great!" Piper says. Then to the group, "She likes the idea!"

I laughed at this.

We talked for a bit longer, Piper just passing the phone around. I didn't talk for very long with some, but I could've talked for hours with others. We just kept this going until Mom called me, saying she was on her way to pick me up. I wrapped up the phone call, and quickly typed in a fake contact for Piper's number, before Mom pulled up and I got in the car.

*-*-*-*-*-*

Calypso's birthday

"Hey Mom..." I started hesitantly.

"Yes..." she prompted.

I sighed, before asking, "Do you still have Demeter Gardener's number?"

"I think... why?" Mom questioned, scrunching her eyebrows and scrolling through her phone. "Yeah, it's right here. Why do you ask?"

"Well... it's Calypso's birthday, and I was hoping I could wish her a happy birthday?"

Mom squinted her eyes, searching mine for some reason why she shouldn't let me. Course, I knew how to look perfectly innocent when I wanted to.

"I suppose," she finally relented. "Here, I'll just give you Demeter's number."

"Thank you!" I said, giving her a hug.

After getting Demeter's number, I decided to just call Calypso's phone.

She picked up almost immediately, asking, "So? How'd she react?"

"Amazing! She just gave me Demeter's number, and let me come into my room to call, so that's why I just called you."

"Yay! Hopefully next week it'll work... I'll have my mom call you, because Jason was saying Athena probably won't pick up. We were thinking about calling on Tuesday, then saying the funeral is Saturday?"

"I would say the funeral is on a weekday, in case my mom decides she wants to come. She won't be able to get off work yet, since she hasn't been there long enough."

"Okay, sounds good. One second, lemme text the group about this, so I don't forget."

There was some shuffling sounds, then, "Okay, so I think we'll have to fake funeral on Thursday, and call you on Monday. That's only about 5 days from now, but I think it should work... right?"

"Yep, that sounds perfect!"

"Okay, sounds great. I'll talk to you later Annabeth!"

"Oh, Calypso, wait!"

"Yeah?"

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!"

She laughed on the other side of the phone. "Thank you!"

"No problem, haha. Alright, well I should get going. Bye!" I said, hanging up.

Things were starting to look up!

A/N-

hi peepsles... how're u lol

anyways, i'm super sorry that i haven't updated much the last couple days! i lowkey forgot lol. i'm also sorry because i said i would update like days ago... i just procrastinated my homework a lil too much.... but i'm here now!

how was this chapter! i think i need to look for an ending soon... i'm rly just going with the flow with the book... if you have any ideas, please lemme know! i'd like to have at least 40 chapters... and end on a somewhat good note. i might consider a sequel ;)

alright, well that's all! sorry for the wait!

Hope you liked it, please vote if you wanna <3

Published: Saturday, November 7, 2020