Chapter Fourteen

Triton's POV-

"Fine," Annabeth said, finally meeting my eyes. "You remind me of your twin brother who lives in the Northern Tower. Happy?"

With that, she ran off, leaving me utterly confused.

Twin brother? That's got to be a joke! But.. there was no playfulness in Annabeth's tone or eyes when she said it. She sounded angry. I mean, I guess I had been pushing kind of hard...

I should probably explain why I was pushing so hard. It probably seemed kind of cruel. It probably was actually... well shoot.

Anyways, all my life people would only tell me half of the story or a few useless details. I never got the full story, about who was walking around at midnight, where Mother would go, what the council was whispering about, things like that. So, as you can imagine, that's not a very good way to grow up, mentally. As a kid, it hurts to be told, "You'll understand when you're older," "Don't worry about it, it's none of your business," and "Go away kid, the adults are talking," over and over. Annabeth was my one friend as a kid, and soon we weren't able to hang out very much anymore and she made new friends. But no matter what, she was the one person I could count on to be honest with me, and tell me the whole story.

So when she didn't answer me, I did my best to get the truth out of her. Major backfire.

First of all, I wasn't expecting Annabeth to even consider hiding details from me, let alone the whole story. Second, Annabeth is stubborn. Even when I grabbed her and interrogated her, I didn't think I'd get any answers from her before the coronation, and by the time it was over, I either wouldn't have time to ask her about it or she'd have some cover up story that would make me give up trying.

You're probably wondering how I know this much if Annabeth has always been truthful with me. Well, I know because I've witnessed her outlasting and out planning countless adults, including her own mother, someone I consider to be the smartest woman on Earth.

But instead of her getting out of telling me, she broke. Why?

*Ding, dong.... Ding, dong*

Shoot, I still have to be crowned King, ughhhhhhh.

*-*-*-*-*-*time skip*-*-*-*-*-*

"Do you swear to uphold and protect the kingdom of Atlantis, as long as you shall reign?" The priest asked.

"I swear," I answered truthfully.

"Then I now pronounce you King Triton of Atlantis, and your wife, Queen Merope of Corinth!"

(A/N: That was an actual queen of Corinth, according to Google)

Cheers all around. I should've been elated. I was just married to the girl I've been courting for months now and I was King. But I felt horrible about Annabeth.

At the beginning of the ceremonies, I couldn't find her. But turning around to face my kingdom, I found her in the back row alongside all her friends, commonly known as the advisor's advisors. She looked puffy eyed, like she had been crying. The others looked guilty, and would shoot me a glare every now and then, but a sad glare.

Why did they all seem so sad? All Annabeth told me was that I have a twin, which I still don't quite believe. I'm going to ask Annabeth and Mother about it as soon as I can get them alone. Of course, looking at Annabeth and her posse of friends, that might be tough.

After about 20 minutes of being congratulated and whatnot, my parents, Merope and I were all escorted out to a carriage to go back to the castle. Once inside, I looked at my mother and asked, "Man, I'm excited to be King and all, but you couldn't have had any other sons around for me to chill with and have some bro time?"