Chapter 15

"What the hell are you saying," Sofia spoke into the phone. She was trying to keep her voice down because Oscar was only ten feet from her on the couch.

"Sofia," Mario spoke on the other end of the line. "I just-" he debated his words. "I can't come home for thanksgiving."

She rolled her eyes. "Yeah, I heard you the first three times." She glanced over her shoulder at Oscar, who was staring at the TV. "And I said I don't care. I haven't seen you since you left for college. You can't come home for the day?"

"I'm sorry," Mario sighed on the other side of the line. "I already agreed to go-"

"To Nevada," Sofia cut him off. "With some puta you don't even know."

"Sofia," Mario scolded her. "Can you not call her that?"

"I just don't understand why you can't see your family on Thanksgiving."

It went silent for a brief moment. "I'll be home for Christmas."

"You said that about Thanksgiving," Sofia was angry with her brother. She wanted to see him and hear about college. They hardly spoke, and she missed him a lot.

"You're being overdramatic," Mario was slowly growing annoyed. "Why don't you spend Thanksgiving with Oscar?" Sofia flushed red at his statement. She hadn't told him about Oscar yet. "Mom told me."

"Of course she did." Sofia didn't care much that her mother told Mario. She looked down at her hands, "you'll be home for Christmas?"

"I promise," he breathed. "Or New Years, somewhere in that time frame."

Sofia didn't want to argue with her brother anymore. "As long as you promise not to skip out on us again."

"I promise." She nodded, "you're not mad anymore?"

"Well, of course I'm mad," Sofia said. "Thanksgiving is tomorrow, and you're only telling me last minute."

"Because I knew you would get mad," was his response.

"Well," Sofia placed her hand on her hip. "Obviously, you know me too well."

It went silent again, "I have to run. I'm sorry again."

"I know," Sofia's hand fell. "Talk soon?"

"Yes."

"Okay," she knew it was a lie. "Love you."

"Love you too." With that, Mario hung up the phone. Sofia pulled the phone from her ear and let it fall to her side. She was still annoyed with her brother but couldn't do anything about it.

"He's not coming home," Oscar asked from his spot on the couch. Sofia turned to him with a dull expression on her face.

"No," she sighed. "He's going to Nevada."

Oscar's face scrunched up. "What's in Nevada?"

"His new girlfriend's family, apparently." This caused Oscar to let out a deep laugh. "What's so funny?"

"New relationship?"

Sofia tilted her head to the side, "what? I think so. Why?" Oscar stared at her knowingly. It took her a minute to figure out what he was implying. "Ew, you're disgusting." She walked towards the couch and sat down. "I can't believe he is blowing us off on Thanksgiving. My mom is going to be so upset."

"You'll see him at Christmas," Oscar shrugged her off.

Sofia stared at him, "so?"

"At least you get to see him," Oscar pointed out.