Chapter 20

One Month Later

Ruby's first day home was scary for Sofia. Seeing him back at the same place he nearly died brought back many memories. Today was New Year's Eve, a good day for him to come home. Geny was throwing a small party, not anything extravagant. Just with the family and a few friends. Sofia had managed to convince Oscar to come, although it was much easier than she expected. Since Ruby had been shot, it was hard to get rid of him. He stayed by her side whenever he could, but she didn't mind. The change was something she welcomed.

Sofia stepped out of Oscar's car, her fingers pulling down her black dress. Oscar marched around the side of the car but suddenly froze. She took a few steps before realizing his hesitations, "Oscar?" He glanced at her, "what's wrong?"

Oscar scoffed, "I look ridiculous."

Sofia looked at his outfit. It was different than his standard attire. His jeans were not nearly as baggy as usual, and his long sleeve black shirt was more form-fitting. "Oscar," with two steps, she was in front of him. Placing both her hands on his chest, she spoke again. "I think you look incredibly handsome." Pushing up on her toes, she placed a quick kiss on his cheek. "Thank you for doing this." She could see the nervousness in his eyes. Oscar had never been around her parents. Having been introduced once years ago, but typically stayed away. His concern faded away, and a smile made its way onto his face. He placed his palm on the side of her face and kissed her. Sofia's hand moved up his chest and towards the base of his neck. "Come on." Grabbing his hand, she began leading him towards the house. Oscar followed her but gripped her hand tightly. Clearly worried about how the interaction would go. "Hello," Sofia called out, opening the front door.

"Sofia," Geny ran out of the kitchen. Her eyes quickly found Oscar, "Oscar. It is so nice to see you."

"You too, Mrs. Martinez," Oscar didn't have a chance to move as Geny pulled him in for a hug. Sofia's eyebrows raised at the action, surprised by what her mother was doing. It shocked Oscar as well. His body freezing. "I'm so happy Sofia finally brought you over."

"Oscar," her father's tone was deeper. Ruben walked closer, and Geny let go. He stuck out his hand, and Oscar shook it. "Nice to see you."

Oscar opened his mouth to speak, but Geny clapped her hands together. "This is so nice, having you over. I'm so glad you could make it. Sofia talks about you all the time-"

"Ma," Sofia glared at her. "Please."

"Sorry, Mija," Geny pinched her cheek. "I'm just very excited."

Oscar chuckled, "thank you for inviting me."

The sound of the door opening caught everyone's attention, but the squeal that Geny let out was louder. Sofia flinched, not expecting it. "My baby!"

Sofia looked over her shoulder as Mario walked into the house. "Mario." She had not been expecting to see him but was happy nonetheless.

The boy rushed towards Geny, drawing her in for a bone-crushing hug. "I thought you were supposed to be up north with your friends?"

"Change of plans." Mario let his mother go and directed his attention at Sofia. Neither spoke as they hugged each other. Sofia laughed, it had been so long since she had last seen her brother. She missed him terribly. "Hey, man," he nodded at Oscar. The twins ran forward, wanting to hug their brother. Sofia stepped back, falling to Oscar's side. He wrapped an arm around her, leaning her on his chest. "I have a surprise for you."

"Oh," Geny grew excited. "What is it?"

Mario took a shaky breath, "it's a big one. Really big."