Chapter 19

When Sofia woke up, Oscar was nowhere to be found, but she expected that. He had sent her a few texts letting her know he would be back but had Santos business to attend to. She didn't mind, knowing that most of her day would consist of her at the hospital with Ruby. When she arrived, it was already late into the afternoon. She had slept for nearly sixteen hours. The exhaustion of everything had taken over. Now that she was well-rested, Sofia just wanted to be by her brother's side.

By now, the hospital staff recognized her and allowed her to walk back without any issues. The waiting area didn't hold any familiar faces, which meant that Ruby's friends went home. That was a good thing. They needed to go home and rest. There was nothing to be done at the hospital. 

Sofia strolled towards the room that held Ruby but stopped seeing her father walkout. "Sofia," he seemed to be waiting for her. "You look well-rested."

"I slept a lot," she shrugged off his comment. "How's Ruby?"

He smiled, "he's awake." Sofia's heart dropped into her stomach. "He's okay. A little talking." His face fell, "he knows about Olivia."

Sofia's shoulder fell. "You told him?"

"He wouldn't stop asking." There was a brief silence, "he's okay. He's tired now, but he asked for you."

"Okay," Sofia nodded. "You and Ma should go home. Get some rest."

"Sofia-"

"I'll look after him," she assured her father. "I promise."

"I know." He placed a kiss on her forehead, "okay. Just for a little bit." Sofia took a step around him and then into the room. Ruby laid still on the bed. The white sheets pulled to his chest. The tubes were no longer down his throat and poking out every few inches. Now there were only a few.

The color had started to return to his face. That was a good sign. Sofia took another step in before sinking into the empty chair by his left arm. "Ruby," her voice was soft. She placed her hand on his cold one. Ruby's eyes fluttered open, and he blinked a few times. After a moment, he turned his head to look at him. "Hey, Ruby." Sofia leaned closer to push the hair out of his face. "How do you feel?"

"Like shit," his voice was rough. Sofia let out a laugh at his words. She was happy he could feel something.

"Well," Sofia spoke. "You look good."

It was Ruby's turn to laugh. "Liar."

"Mijo," Geny stood up. "We are going to check on the twins, okay? We will be back soon."

"Okay," Ruby looked back at her. "Tell them I said hi."

"I will," Geny assured him. "I love you, Ruby. So very much."

"I love you too." Geny nodded and took one last look at him before walking out the door. Once they were gone, Ruby stared back at her. "Stop looking at me like that."

"Like what?"

Ruby wanted to roll his eyes, "like I died."

Sofia tried to stop but couldn't. "I'm sorry," she blinked back her tears. "I was really scared."

"I know." It was true, "so was I."

"I'm glad you're okay," Sofia smiled, her lip quivering. "I don't know what I would have done without you."

Ruby's eyes began to blur with tears. "Olivia kissed me."

Sofia felt her heartbreak inside her at the words. "Yeah?"

"Yeah," Ruby confirmed with a small nod. "It was a good kiss."

"I bet it was."

Sofia once again pushed the hair out of his eyes. "I loved her." She already knew that. Ruby was captivated by her.

Tangled Webs -Oscar Diaz-जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें