Chapter 17

Two days went by faster than Sofia expected. Ruby, Jamal, and Monse had been gone the previous day leaving her alone with Olivia to prepare. It was not an easy task keeping her distracted from her missing boyfriend and now missing friends. But, now it was the day on her quince, and only two of her friends were at the church. Jamal and Cesar had yet to make an appearance, but Sofia was expecting only Jamal to show up. 

The church was starting to fill with people, and she was struggling with the twins. Geny and Ruben were chatting with a few others from the neighborhood and had left her alone by the car. "Luis and Lousia," Geny called out. The brunette glanced over her shoulder to see her mother waving at them. "Come here, please."

Sofia breathed a sigh of relief as the twins ran towards their mother. The service would be starting in the next ten minutes, and she wanted to get a spot for her family. Reaching into the car, she grabbed her phone and noticed a red car drive by. It pulled against the curb of the church and came to a stop. Sofia recognized the vehicle immediately. It was Oscar's Impala.

Pushing out of her car and slamming the door, she quickly began shuffling towards him. She hadn't seen him in a few days, and he wasn't responding to texts very often. The passenger door opened first, and Cesar stepped out. Sofia's steps wavered seeing his once long black hair gone. "Cesar," she stopped in front of him.

"Hey Sofia," there was a nervousness in his words.

She smiled at him, " you look good." His shoulders relaxed slightly, "go inside. The others are in there." Cesar nodded but didn't speak further. He moved around her and began heading inside.

Meanwhile, Oscar climbed out of his car and made his way over towards her. Sofia crossed her arms over her chest and raised an eyebrow at him. "Would it kill you to answer a text every now and then? And what happened to Ce-". She never finished the sentence. Instead, Oscar wrapped an arm around her waist and brought her in for a deep kiss. His actions took the girl by surprise, but as always, melted into the kiss. "Oscar," she reluctantly pulled away. Only a few meters away was her family and friends.

"Sorry," he looked down at her. "You look beautiful," Oscar tucked a stray strand of hair that escaped her braid behind her ear. Sofia blushed and glanced down at the blue dress that Abuelita made for her.

"Flattery will only get you so far," Sofia's words were laced with sarcasm. "Oscar, I-"

"Sofia," her mother's voice cut her off. "The service starts in-," Geny noticed Oscar standing by her side as she approached and slowed her walk. "Oscar, hi," Geny grinned at the man. "I wasn't expecting you. Are you staying for the service?"

"No, ma'am," his tone was gentle. "I was just dropping off Cesar."

Her lips fell into a thin line. "Of course. Well, we are having the party at our house after. Please stop by, if you can." Geny turned to Sofia, "service starts in five minutes. Come inside."

"I will be right there," Sofia assured her. Geny took this as her sign to end the conversation and headed for the church.

"I should head inside," she pointed at the building. "Are you sure you can't stay?"

"I have Santos business," Oscar spoke.

Sofia already knew he was going to say that. "All night?"

Oscar sighed, "yes."

"Okay," she pursed her lips. "I'll see you when you get Cesar?"

"Yeah," Oscar stared at her.

"Okay," Sofia repeated. There was not much more for her to say, and in the silence, she turned around and head into the church.

~~~~~~~~

The Martinez house was full of guests for Olivia's party. It was absolutely amazing, and Sofia couldn't stop beaming. "I said," the sound of Ruby's booming voice caused her to jump. The cookie in her hand falling onto the counter. "Do not eat the cookies until after all of the guests have eaten."

"I'm starving," Sofia spun towards him. "You won't let me eat anything!"

"Yeah," Louisa giggled. The young girl was sitting on the counter with cookie crumbs all over her face.

"And you roped Louisa into your ways." Ruby picked the girl up from the counter and dropped her back onto the floor. "Go find Luis." That was all it took for the young girl to take off out the kitchen door. "At least eat the sugar cookies."

Sofia huffed, "but I want the chocolate chip."

"I don't care," Ruby looked her up and down. He looked at his watch and let out a gasp. "I have to go. It's time!"

"What," Sofia grew confused. "Time for what?"

"Olivia's last surprise," Ruby shouted as he ran towards the backyard. She stood in her spot for a minute but swiftly began wandering towards the outside activities.

That was when Ruby came rushing back into the house with Olivia being dragged behind him. Sofia didn't question it but let out a chuckle at his flushed face. "Sofia," Ruben called out seeing his daughter step out of the house.

"Papa." Pushing past a few people, she approached him. "Where's Mom?"

"She's with a few friends," he pointed to a group of women on the other side. "Where are the twins?"

"I have no idea," she shrugged. "Ruby sent Louisa out here a few minutes ago and-"

"Sofia," Abuelita wrapped an arm around her. "Dance, my love. You don't come to a party to stand around."

Sofia rolled her eyes but didn't hesitate to follow the woman to the center of the dance floor. The backyard was full of people having different conversations and dancing. Everyone around her was moving to the music in their own way. That included Ruby, Olivia, Monse, and Cesar. The group of four were close together only a few feet away.

Ruby looked over at his sister with the biggest smile she had ever seen. He was dancing with Olivia. His hands were clasping around hers, and Olivia looked beautiful. The pink dress she wore was the most beautiful dress Sofia had ever seen.

Ruby's mood had changed since they last spoke, and that was due to the girl with him. Ruby looked away first and back at the birthday girl. Sofia returned her attention her father, Abuelita, and her mother, who had joined them. They were all dancing to the music. Although they were all horrible dancers, it only made the scene that much better.

Sofia's father grabbed her hand and spun her around. The blue dress she had went flying through the air. She opened her mouth to say something, but the sound of a gunshot stopped her. It was loud and echoed over the music. The screaming started almost instantly, and people began to run in all directions. "Ruby," they were the first words she registered. "Ruby! Ruby!" Her mother ran towards the boy who was lying face-first in the dirt.

"Mijo," her father screamed turning him over. "Mijo!"

Sofia hadn't moved, but her eyes traveled away from her brother and towards Olivia. Her once pink dress now had a large bloodstain in the middle. "Call 911," Geny's voice broke. "Call 911!"

The situation registered in Sofia's brain, and she took an unsteady step forward. Her hands were shaking as she dropped down to the ground next to Ruby. "Ruby," she sobbed looking down at her brother. Her father forced himself up from the floor and started calling the police. "You're going to be fine, okay? You're going to be okay." Sofia didn't know what to do. "Not my baby. Not my baby!"

"Ruby," Sofia didn't realize tears were streaming down her face. She couldn't feel them. "Ruby, stay with us." There was blood all over his face, but the girl didn't care. She placed a hand gently on the side of his cheek. "Ruby, please."

"Ruby," Olivia spoke from a few feet away. "Ruby!"

Ruby's breathing began to become labored, and Sofia cried harder. "Please, please, please stay with me. Stay with me." The words were a plea, and in the distance, the sirens were heard. Although distant, it let them know that help was coming. "Ruby, just keep your eyes open."