Chapter 21

Sofia strolled into her house with slumped shoulders. She had taken her first Sunday shift at work and was overwhelmed with the number of students that had come in and out.

Now she was back home, but there was nobody there. Well, no one but Amber. The blonde girl sat on the couch was a mug in her hand. "Hey, sister," she greeted brightly. "Where have you been all day?"

Sofia pursed her lips, trying to push away her annoyance with the girl. Of course, amber truly didn't mean any harm. "I was at work."

"Oh," Amber's pink painted nail laid flat against her stomach. "Exciting. Where is that?"

"Nowhere important," Sofia didn't want to engage in a deep conversation. "Where is everyone?"

"Church," Amber stood up. "Ruby went on a walk a few hours ago."

That caught her attention, "a few hours? He hasn't come back?"

"No," the blonde turned her head to the side. "Should I have called someone?"

Sofia rolled her eyes and grabbed her phone. Calling Ruby's number, it rang twice before going to voice mail. She called again, but this time it went straight to voicemail. "Shit." Ruby always answered his phone. After what happened, Sofia was afraid he had gotten hurt, or worse. "I'm going to look for him." Before she could move, her phone vibrated, signaling she had received a text. It was from Oscar, telling her that Ruby was with him. "Nevermind."

"Did you find him?"

"Yeah," Sofia was relieved to know he was safe. "He's at my boyfriend's house."

Amber hummed, "the one with the tattoos?" Sofia nodded, "I don't mean to stereotype, but is he in a gang? I've never seen someone with neck tattoos before."

Sofia gave her a tight-lipped smile. "He likes tattoos."

"Oh," Amber relaxed. "Okay." There was an awkward silence, but the girl was quick to fill the air. "So, how are you?"

Sofia's nails dug into her skin, "fine." The blonde woman opened her mouth to speak, but the front door opened.

"Ah, Mija," her mother's voice called. "I'm so happy you are home." As her family made their way into the house, Geny noticed something. "Where's Ruby?"

"At Oscar's."

"What," Geny put a hand on her hip. "Why? I told him he wasn't to leave the house."

"I don't know," Sofia wasn't sure why he was with him. "Amber was with him last."

Mario glared at his sister, knowing she was purposely throwing her under the bus. "Sofia, can I speak with you, please?"

She sighed, "sure." With her approval, the boy grabbed her arm and began leading her down the hall. "Okay. I said talk, not drag me."

"Sorry," he let go of her arm. As they stepped into her room, he closed the door. "I need you to be nice to Amber."

"No," Sofia didn't like the girl. Not after dinner the previous evening. "She's an idiot. Do you not remember what she said last night? And you didn't even say anything!" Sofia threw her hands up in the air out of anger.

"I know-"

She pointed at him, "she called me her sister. Sister! I am not her sister." At this point, Sofia was rambling. "And she said it was noble I stayed behind to support my family as if it was an act of charity."

"Sofia," Mario yelled. She immediately went quiet. "I know, okay? I know. I will talk to her about that, but please, for me be nicer. She's going to bring my child into the world soon. You're going to be an aunt to that baby, so please, be nicer to her. I know you don't love her, but she's part of this family now." Mario was almost begging her, and Sofia felt slightly guilty for giving Amber the cold shoulder. "Please? Even if it's just for me."

"Fine, fine," she stopped his speech. "I'll be nicer to her. But I am not calling her my sister."

He smiled, "thank you, Sofia. You're the best sister ever."

Mario pulled her in for a bone-crushing. "I know. I know." Sofia chuckled as he lifted her from the floor. "Okay, I get it. I'm the best." He dropped her.

"Can you convince mom?"

"Woah," Sofia shook her head. "That is not my job. I will not get into all that. That's on you."

"Sofia-"

"Don't push your luck, Mario. I only just agreed, don't make me take it back." He nudged her shoulder knowingly. Mario knew his sister well enough to know when she was joking. "Let's get back out there. I'm sure Amber is driving mom crazy and could use some help."

"Alright." Sofia turned on her heel and opened the bedroom door. "Wait. Is Amber the reason you didn't come home for Thanksgiving?" At his silence, she got her answer. "It is!"

"Obviously," Mario sighed. 

"I can't believe you didn't tell me," Sofia was disappointed. "We tell each other everything."

"Hey," Amber stood up from the table. "What were you two talking about?"

"Nothing," Sofia pinched her nose in fake happiness. Mario elbowed her in the gut, causing her to wince. "Ow-"

"Sofia actually suggested that you two go out for lunch," Mario smirked. "You know, to get more acquainted."

Amber clapped her hands together, "I would love that. Let me find my shoes."

The blonde girl was gone in a flash. "Mario," Sofia hissed. "What the hell?"

"You said you would be nicer."

"I didn't say anything about hanging out. I will not get lunch with her."

"Sofia," Mario said. "She was so excited. You can't disappoint her now."

Sofia wanted to argue with him but knew there was no point. Amber would be upset if she said she wasn't interested. "That was sneaky and low. Even for you."

Mario shrugged, "I did what I had to."

"Can somebody help me put on my shoes," Amber's voice called from down the hall.

"Sofia will."

She glared at her brother, "you owe me big time. Like big." He seemed to agree, "give me your debit card?"

"What?" He hadn't been expecting her to say that. "Why?"

Sofia blinked, "what do you mean why? I'm not paying for lunch." Mario hesitated but eventually grabbed his wallet to give her the card.

"Don't spend a lot."

"I make no promises." And with that, Sofia went to help Amber put on her shoes.

~~~~~~~~

Thank you to everyone who has read this book! I love reading your comments! If you like this book be sure to check out a few of my others!

Thank you again!