Chapter 6

Sofia sat pressed up against her brother and Cesar in the back seat as her Abuelita pulled into Brentwood. The girl was still questioning her choices and how she got into this situation. She pulled up to a curb and stopped the car. The group began to pile out of the car.

"Buena Suerte," she called out.

"We won't need luck," Ruby clarified, "bad stuff doesn't happen in Brentwood."

"Really," Cesar pulled at his Julius Caesar costume. "How about OJ. No offense, Jamal."

"It's fine. We don't claim him."

Ruby rolled his eyes, "we should be done by ten o'clock."

"Good for you, but I have plans." With that, she drove off leaving them standing in the street. Sofia stood in the middle of the road processing her words. Her attention then went to the large homes that surrounded her.

"We aren't in Freeridge anymore."

"In 800 feet, you have arrived." Jamal's phone said. Sofia didn't think much of it as she walked.

"We have a lot of ground to cover," Jamal began. "To maximize candy, we should divide and conquer and then split the candy."

"Great idea," Ruby nodded. "Olivia, Sofia, and I will go this way. Meet you here around ten." As he finished, Ruby pulled on Sofia's black and white striped shirt, signaling he was ready to begin walking.

"Jamal," both Cesar and Monse said at the same time.

"Actually," Cesar stepped back, "I think I'll go with them."

Ruby stepped closer, "no. It's not even you should go with Jamal and Monse."

"Actually," Monse pushed Jamal. "We're good." With that, the two were walking away from them.

"Come on," Olivia waved them over. Cesar began walking after her, but Sofia watched her brother closely. He had a sad look on his face.

"Hey," Sofia nudged him, "it's going to be okay." Ruby didn't speak as they began walking towards a house. Cesar and Olivia were walking slightly ahead of them, and Ruby jogged to catch up.

"Woah," Ruby stopped them, "let kids go first." They stepped to the side as a few children ran past them. "Cesar tends to be a little self-focused. He can lose sight of others. However, I am a gentleman. I like to give rather than receive." They walked up to the man giving out candy.

"Hold on," the man smiled, "still have a little one." He put the candy in Ruby's bag. Sofia's jaw dropped slightly as a smile spread on her face. The man then began putting candy in their bags. Once he finished, Cesar gently placed his hand on Ruby's shoulder and pulled him away.

Sofia felt sorry for her brother, but she didn't say anything. They walked away from the house in silence and began heading to the next home. Sofia looked in her bag and smiled at the full-size candy bar. She was starting to be happy that her brother forced her to go trick-or-treating. This became a pattern, going from house to house and collecting full-size candy bars. On their way to their fifteenth house, Cesar spoke. "Ruby," he began, "isn't it nice that we don't have to look over our shoulder?" There was no reply. Sofia turned back and noticed that Ruby was not behind them. Instead, it was a girl in a vampire costume that was the same height. "We left Ruby."

"Back here, asshole," Ruby began walking over to them.

"Give me a second," Cesar spoke to Olivia. Sofia took this as an opportunity to talk to Olivia.

As the two boys walked away, Sofia turned to the girl. "So, are you having fun?"

"Yes," Olivia smiled, "this is the best."