Chapter 18

The aftermath of that night would stay with Sofia for the rest of her life. The ride to the hospital felt like it would take ages, and the waiting after that was worst. When the doctor informed them of Olivia's death only moments after their arrival, her hope of Ruby surviving started to dissolve. Every hour that ticked by felt like years, and every time a doctor walked past her, she was sure they were going to tell them he didn't make it.

But day one passed, and Ruby held on. Then came day two, and then day three. The hope began to resurface once the doctor informed them Ruby was stable. The truly worst part was seeing his body lying motionless with countless tubes coming out of his body. He was pale, and his lips were nearly white from the lack of blood, but the doctors assured them that it would come back now that he was stable.

Latrelle was the person responsible for shooting him and murdering Olivia. He was a member of the prophets, and he was there for Cesar. He meant to kill Cesar but shot Ruby instead. Sofia was worried about him coming back but learned that Oscar and the Santos were quick to call a truce. She was grateful for that, but Ruby had still been hurt.

The three sleepless days were slowly getting the better of her. It was hard to sleep when her brain wouldn't turn off. But with the news that Ruby would make it, the lack of sleep was starting to tear her apart. Her father noticed first, and then her mother. They both urged her to go home, but she refused. 

Her father went home first to bathe the twins and keep them away from the hospital. Abuelita stayed with them the entire time, a position she volunteered for in order for the others to be with Ruby. When her father got back to the hospital, Geny went home and showered.

But it was growing late, and once her mother arrived, she told Sofia to leave and rest. She argued with her mother but eventually did as told. Sofia planned to go back to the hospital first thing in the morning and let her parents return home for a break. 

Arriving home caused a wave of nausea to take over at the sight of all the party decorations. "Sofia," her Abuelita walked into the living room.

Hearing her name, the twins ran into the room. "Ana, Ana."

"Hey," Sofia forced a smile as she sank to their level. "What are you doing up?"

"We missed Mommy," Luisa played with the ends of her hair. "And Daddy."

"And you," Luis giggled. "And Ruby."

Sofia swallowed the lump in her throat, "well. I'm home, and Ruby will be back soon, okay?"

"Okay," they both repeated. For a moment, she envied them. Neither knew of what happened to their brother.

"Now," Sofia looked between them. Seeing both their smiling faces made her feel the slightest bit better. "Abuelita is going to put you both to bed, and I will see your beautiful faces in the morning." With that, they both giggled and ran back into their room. Sofia stood up and looked around the dirty room. "There are decorations everywhere." The girl began grabbing used plastic cups off the table.

"Sofia," her Abuelita spoke.

"It's a mess."

"Sofia," Abuelita grabbed onto her shoulders. "Do not do this tonight. Please, go to bed."

Sofia didn't look at her, "the twins need you to tell them a story. They can't sleep without a story."

"Sofia-"

"I'm fine."

There was a silence, "go to bed, please." Abuelita let go of her and hesitantly stepped into the twin's room. The moment she was out of sight, Sofia began cleaning up the room. Seeing the decorations only reminded her of what happened. Reminded her of Olivia.