Chapter 7

Sofia stood at her locker as she riffled through the books inside. "I mean," Angelica spoke next to her. "I don't see what the big deal is." 

Sofia sighed as she glanced over at her closest friend, next to her was Victoria and Ananda. They stood beside her with dull expressions. "Because," Sofia began. "Every time we go out you all leave me."

"That is not true," Ananda smacked her gum. "You hang out with Mario."

"Until Angelica takes him in a back closet and-" Angelica quickly silenced Sofia with her hand. She rolled her eyes and smacked her friend's hand away. "You can't expect me to hang out with my brother every time we go out." 

"You disappear," Angelica fought her. "I always leave for a minute, and when I come back, I can't find you anywhere." Her tone was changing, almost challenging. Sofia squinted at her, not understanding where she was going with her words. "Anything you want to tell us?"

"Angelica," Victoria placed a hand on her shoulder. "Are you accusing our sweet Sofia of something?"

Sofia felt her heart drop in her chest. Angelica was onto her. In truth, Sofia didn't mind when her friends left her at parties because she snuck off to meet someone. That someone was Oscar Diaz, and she knew they if they found out it wouldn't be long until Mario found out. Sofia had never had a boyfriend before, and Oscar wasn't exactly the traditional type. He was older than her and in a gang. However, Sofia knew he was a good person. She saw it. Her younger brother was best friends with his, and their connection started from there. "I don't know," Angelica smirked at Sofia's shrinking form. "Am I?"

"Hey," Ananda stepped closer. "Would you knock it off. Not everything is a conspiracy theory."

"If you're accusing me of hooking up with someone, you're wrong." Sofia found her voice. "I mostly eat chips and read on my phone." Her lie fell from her mouth easily. 

Angelica's smirk turned into a smile. "I am just messing with you."

Sofia rolled her eyes and slammed her locker shut, "you freaked me out." With that she looked at her watch and noticed the time. "Crap, I have to drop off the homework that I missed in Mr. Dubar's office. I'll see you guys later."

"Bye," the three called out after her. Sofia didn't bother to respond as she hurried to get to her class before the day started. Her feet carried her swiftly down the hall. She turned down a smaller hallway towards her classroom. The young girl barely made it twenty feet when a hand reached out and yanked her into a classroom. Sofia didn't have time to scream, her mind processing what was happening. 

Her body was pulled into the music room, and the door quickly shut behind her. The person let go of her arm, and Sofia spun around quickly. Her eyes locked on Oscar. "What the hell," she snapped, placing a hand on her heart. "You scared me to de-" before she could finish, the boy stepped forward and put his hands on the side of her face. Sofia's eyes closed as Oscar gently kissed her. Her heart was fluttering in her chest. They stood together in the music room for a few minutes before Sofia pulled away. "What are you doing?" She was confused at his sudden display of affection. Oscar had never made any attempt to be seen together at school. Only small glances in the hallways. They only ever spoke at parties or social gatherings, in her bedroom late at night, and on the phone.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean," Sofia felt herself stuttering. "You just kissed me."

"Yeah, and," Oscar shrugged.

"At school."

"Yes," he chuckled. "I did."

Sofia pressed her lips together, "why?"

"Why not," his hands went down to her hips. "You looked good today, and I didn't see you last night. I have my reasons."

"Yeah," Sofia stepped closer and placed a kiss on his lips. "What do you want?"

He hesitated before speaking. "There's a party tonight, are you going?"

"Of course," Sofia's shoulders dropped. "Angelica is making me."

"Good," Oscar winked taking a step back. "I'll see you there."

"Sadly, you will." 

Oscar laughed, "don't be late, Martinez."

"Wouldn't dream of it."

Sofia gripped her bag in her hands tightly as she walked towards her house. She was exhausted. Community college wasn't a joke. Her classes were incredibly hard. Sofia turned into her driveway and jogged the few steps to her front door. Without thinking, she pushed it open, and her eyes instantly landed on a familiar sight. Sitting on the couch was Ruby and Jamal. They both looked up at the sound of the door opening. "Jesus Christ," Jamal placed his hand on his head.

"No, Sofia," she smiled at him. "Hey, guys. What's up?"

"We are working on something," Ruby glanced down. "An app."

"Oh, sounds like its out of my skill set. I'll be in the kitchen if you need me," with that Sofia placed her bag down and headed towards the kitchen. She opened up the fridge and grabbed the jar of jelly. She was going to make herself a sandwich. As she set the jar on the counter, she went to grab the peanut butter when a voice startled her. 

"Hey," they said. "What are you doing?"

Sofia turned around and came face to face with Jasmine. "Eating, what are you doing," she paused, "in my house?"

"I'm hanging with Olivia and Monse," she pointed at the room behind her. 

This confused her, "then why aren't you with them?"

"They kicked me out," she shrugged. "But only for like twenty minutes."

Sofia opened her mouth to speak but stopped herself. "Uh, why?"

"Does it matter," she snapped, taking the girl by surprise. "All up in my business." With that, the girl walked out of the kitchen leaving Sofia alone. She stood there for a moment before turning to grab the bread. To her disappointment, there wasn't any.

"Hermano," her voice rang out. "Did you eat the last of the bread."

"No," Ruby called back. "But Ma is at the store now. I can let her know."

"Thank you," she called back. Sofia looked at the jar of jelly and sighed. She would have to wait for her parents to get back to eat. Taking a deep breath, she put the jar back in the fridge and left the room.