Chapter 27

Two weeks had gone by, and Sofia hadn't heard from Oscar once. She didn't blame him for leaving her, but it didn't hurt any less. Cesar had vanished after Geny found the bullet on the doorstep. He had put them in danger again and fled. Sofia wasn't sure where, but she couldn't stop him. Ruby and the others seemed to have an idea, but Sofia didn't ask. It wasn't as if they would tell her anything anyway. It didn't help that Latrelle was back in town. Sofia had heard from Monse the previous week. But nobody had seen him.

The Rollerworld money was becoming an issue. The group was planning on washing the cash and needed her help. But Sofia wasn't able to do much. They didn't have a well-thought-out plan, and she worked during the days now that Cesar was MIA. But working helped take her mind off Oscar and Cesar. Amber was gone, having returned home with her baby, and Mario enjoyed life without a kid. The last two weeks had been good for the twins. Mario was distracting Sofia from the complications of her relationship by quality time.

Today was her first time closing alone, and Sofia was a little nervous. However, in her opinion, things went smoothly. Dwayne said that customers were giving such good reviews of her performance that he planned to make her a key holder and possibly an assistant manager to help out when he wasn't around. It also helped that Jamal listened to her more than his own dad.

Locking up was easy, and Sofia began the short walk home. She swung the keys around in her hand happily and whistled. Working at Dwayne's had been the best thing to happen in a while. The job was something she needed and helped her earn more money. As Sofia whistled, she failed to notice the car pulling up behind her. "Hey, Sofia." She didn't recognize the voice and spun around to look at who was talking to her. But that was a mistake. The green car held four Prophets, all of them glaring at her. "Where's Cesar at?" Her mouth went dry, and her entire body was frozen. The truce was over, and that meant anything was fair game between the two gangs. Right now, she felt like collateral damage. "We know your bitch ass boyfriend kicked him out. And we know he was booted from your place."

"Don't talk about Oscar like that." Sofia quickly closed her mouth, wishing she hadn't spoken at all. Not only were they watching Oscar, but her and her family.

The Prophet closer to her was older, and he smirked. "What did you say to me?" Sofia swallowed nervously and remained in her spot. The man in the back seat moved his arm and let it fall against the car. He had a gun in his hand, and he was twisting it around. It wasn't directly aimed at her, but it was a threat.

Her hands began to shake, and Sofia knew this wasn't a good situation to be in. "You're Spooky's bitch. How about I bring you to him, and in return, he tells me where Cesar is. I bet he'll figure it out real quick then." The man hopped out of the car, and Sofia stumbled back.

"He doesn't know," Sofia rushed out. "They haven't spoken, I promise." The man stepped closer. "Get away from me."

"Oh," he laughed looking back at his friends. "I see why Spooky likes you. You got spark." He went to touch her hair, but Sofia pushed his arm away. That was the wrong thing to do. There was a moment where they both looked at each other, and Sofia was unsure of what would happen, but the anger in the man's eyes was unmistakable. He lashed out and grabbed her shirt, and slammed her back roughly against the wall. "You stupid bitch."

"I'm sorry." There was a sharp pain in the back of her head and on her shoulder. Sofia gasped but knew she had to act fast. She was able to twist under his arm and get back. The man still held onto her shirt, but the force of her movement cause the fabric to rip.

Sofia didn't waste any time running down the alley at full speed. The Prophets screamed at her, and the man attempted to chase after her. Luckily, Sofia was moving on full adrenaline and managed to getaway. Her body slipped past the dumpsters in the alleys easier than he did, but that didn't ease her nerves. They could quickly get in the car and drive around to meet her.