Chapter 24

Sofia never left Oscar's. How could she? After making sure Ruby and Mario got home safe, she elected to wait for Oscar to get back. She decided to wait for him in his room. The Prophets were a ruthless group. Sofia knew from first-hand experience, and she was terrified for her boyfriend. The truce was the best thing that happened to Freeridge in a long time.

But now it was over, and Sofia felt partly to blame. The Santos had been hyped up from Ruby's rap and sought vengeance with the Prophets. She tried to calm her nerves, but that was a struggle. Oscar hadn't called or texted in hours, and Sofia was worried.

It last nearly two am, and there was no sign of Oscar. Sofia had been lying in his bed, staring at her phone for what felt like years. Slowly her blinks grew longer. The energy in her was drained, and it didn't take long before she was fast asleep in his bed.

Her phone never rang because Oscar never texted her back. By three am, some of the Santos were arriving back, and Oscar was one of them. Several were still hyped up and were bouncing around town. "See you later, Spooky," Jesus slapped his back. Oscar nodded in return, heading through the house towards his room. Pushing open his door, he noticed the sleeping figure in his bed.

Sofia's hair was sprawled across the pillow, and her phone had been pushed towards the edge of the bed. He smiled to himself, pulling the thin comforter down far enough to slide in. She stirred as the bed shifted but didn't wake up. Oscar ran a hand over her cheek gently watching as she awoke. Sofia's eyes fluttered open, and she blinked a few times. Her brain was clouded from sleep, but seeing Oscar leaning on the bed caused her to sit up. "Oscar." Her arms were wrapped around his neck in a flash. He let out a puff of air, the impact taking him by surprise. "You're okay."

"Yeah," Oscar sighed into her hair. His free arm wrapped around her, slowly laying her back on the bed. "I'm fine."

Sofia let her head fall on the pillow. But her eyes never left his, "what happened?" Oscar remained quiet. "Is the truce over?"

He nodded before he spoke. "Yeah, it is."

Sofia took a moment to let the news sink in fully. Now that the truce was over, Ruby was no longer safe. Neither was Cesar. "I'm sorry-"

"For what," he cut her off. "I'm the one who should be sorry."

Sofia's jaw went slack. His words caught her completely of guard. "You have nothing to be sorry for." As he went to argue, Sofia tilted her head up and captured his lips in a kiss. Oscar immediately stopped talking, focusing all his energy on kissing her back. "I'm just glad you're okay."

"I'm fine, baby." Oscar rolled onto his back, bringing Sofia's head to rest on her chest. She remained silent. Her left arm came around to rest on his ribs. Oscar's heartbeat was steady, and she closed her eyes. The rhythm slowly lured her to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~

Sofia wandered down the street with Jamal's backpack in hand. He had left it at her house and had called saying he needed it. Rather than walking across town, Sofia decided to leave it at Dwyane's Joint BBQ, where his father worked. That way, Jamal could grab it there, making it easier for both of them.

She hadn't been to Dwayne's in a while but always loved the food. Jamal's father was a very kind man. Approaching the small building, she tugged open the glass door. "Hi, Mr. Turner," Sofia greeted the man who was standing behind the counter. "I have Jamal's backpack. I think he needs it."

Dwayne's eyes traveled down to the bag, and he sighed. "That boy drives me absolutely crazy." Sofia laughed as she handed him the bag. "Hope it wasn't too far out of your way."

"Not too much," Sofia shrugged. "I can grab the bus to get to work, so not too bad."

Dwayne nodded, "where do you work?"

"By the community college at a bookstore."

"That's far," he rubbed his chin. "How much do you make?"

Sofia was surprised by the question but didn't see any harm in answering. "I make ten dollars an hour."

"I'm down an employee because Paula quit." He began, "I'll pay you thirteen dollars."

The bewildered look on her face did not go unnoticed. "Really?"

Sofia couldn't help but laugh. The job was closer to home, had people she knew, and paid her more. If Dwayne was serious, then passing it up would be stupid. "Absolutely."

"Yeah, I would love to."

"Great," Dwayne gave her a toothy smile. "Can you start tomorrow?"

Sofia nodded eagerly, "what time do I start?"

"Two o'clock work?"

"I'll be here." Sofia couldn't believe her luck. She had to remind herself to thank Jamal for forgetting his bag.

Dwayne took a step back, "let me go grab you a shirt. We have them in the back."

He turned on his heel and shuffled to the back. As he opened the door, Cesar stepped out, "Thanks." He had a tub of dirty dishes in his hands. "Hey, Sofia. What are you doing here?"

"Becoming the newest member of Dwayne's Joint BBQ."

Cesar's eyes shot up to hers, "really?"

"Yeah," Sofia couldn't contain her excitement.

"Nice." Cesar sent down the container. "You'll like it here."

"Anywhere is better than the bookstore." Cesar chuckled at the comment.

Just then, Dwayne walked back, a black T-Shirt in his hand. "Here. I think this will fit."

"Thank you." Sofia took the shirt from him. "I'll be here tomorrow, at two."

"Sounds great. Thank you, Sofia, for the backpack."

Sofia smiled, "thanks for the job." She glanced at Cesar, "I'll see you later, Cesar."

"Bye, Sofia." With that, the girl left. The smile never fell from her face as she rushed to catch the bus. Today would be her last day working at the bookstore because tomorrow, she started work at Dwayne's. There would be no more close calls at night when she missed the bus, and Sofia was thankful for that.