Chapter 29

Warning: This chapter has sexual content. Do not feel pressured to read if you are not comfortable.

Sofia's eyes were closed as she pretended to be asleep in Oscar's bed. In fact, she had been asleep ten minutes ago, but her boyfriend wasn't exactly subtle when he walked back into his room. But if he knew that his entry had woken her, Oscar would feel slightly guilty. So Sofia acted as if she hadn't woken up. All she wanted was to fall back asleep with her boyfriend by her side.

After ten minutes, she started to feel as if he wasn't coming to bed. Oscar was pacing and furiously texting someone. As Sofia went to open her eyes, he sat down on the edge of the bed. It was clear something was going on. Oscar was stressed about something, and his entire body was hunched over. Cesar had been missing for over a week, and Sofia was starting to lose hope. Today was his birthday. It would have been a good day for him to return. But he didn't.

Pushing the covers off, she wrapped her arms around his shoulders. She felt him tense. But his body quickly relaxed when he realized it was her. "What are you doing awake, baby?"

Sofia smiled and kissed his neck sweetly. "I could ask you the same thing." Oscar sighed and subconsciously leaned into her embrace. "But since you asked me first. I couldn't sleep without you." He looked at her, "your turn."

"Just business with Cuchillos."

Sofia pulled away, "it must be serious if you're speaking with them at ten o'clock." Oscar moved his arm and pulled the girl into his lap. Sofia grinned at him, letting her hand rub the skin on his neck where his Santos tattoo was. "Was it Cesar?" His body stiffened once again, giving her the answer she needed. "I'm sure he's okay. He's just laying low."

"He's fine." Sofia stared at him confused. "He was here an hour ago."

That was news to her. "He was what?"

"He came by an hour ago," Oscar wrapped an arm around her waist.

"What did he say? Was he okay? Where did he go?"

It was a lot of questions, but Sofia wanted to know how he was. The last week had been stressful with the belief that he was dead. "Relax, he's fine."

"Where did he go?"

"I sent him away."

Sofia gasped, "why would you do that?"

"What do you mean?"

"Seriously," Sofia asked him.

Oscar looked away, "after what he did. He's lucky I don't-"

"Don't finish that sentence," Sofia pointed at him. "He's your brother."

That made his hard exterior crumble. "He put me in an impossible situation with Cuchillos." Sofia tried to understand his perspective, but it wasn't easy. There wasn't anything she wouldn't do for her family, for Ruby. "Besides, even if he wanted to help, I couldn't."

"He could come back to my place," Sofia knew that Oscar would disagree. "Hideout in-"

"No," he snapped. "After the Prophets rolled up on you? Not a chance. You're already a target if he comes back." Not only was Sofia a target, but so was Ruby. Him and his friends were rolled up on a few hours before she was.

"Oscar," she pushed. "He's just a kid."

"I'm not going to lose you over this!" Sofia blinked, her lips parting at his words. It was so unlike him to be this emotional, but he was. The last week had been hard on him, and she could understand why. "You've already been put in unnecessary situations. And for what?"