Chapter 1

Three weeks later.

Today was the day, Mario was leaving for college. Sofia held back her envy with a smile as she packed the last of his stuff into the car. She watched her brother as he slammed his trunk closed, or as closed as he could get it. "You ready," she questioned, sadly watching as he nervously bounced around. Sofia knew he was excited but asked anyway.

"Born ready," Mario laughed, his smile fading seeing his sister's heavy look. He would be lying if he said he didn't feel guilty about her giving up college for him. "You should really be going with me." It was true. In his opinion she shouldn't have given it up.

Sofia laughed nudging his shoulder, "stop. I'll join you in two years. Let me figure out what I want to do first." It was a lie; they both knew it.

"We both know that's a lie," Mario sighed pulling his sister in for a hug. Sofia decided to ignore his words wrapping her arms around her older brother. The truth was finally kicking in that her closest friend was leaving her alone in Freeridge. Sofia had other friends, like Angelica, her best friend that Mario hooked up with, dated, and now we're no longer speaking to.

"Don't forget your nerdy sister," Sofia said into his shoulder before pulling away. "And come back and visit, please." Mario nodded, "I think I might lose it here without you."

"Shut up," Mario laughed opening his car door. Before he got in, he stopped himself. "Hey, promise me something."

"Anything," Sofia looked at him confused.

"Live a little." Mario spoke gently, "don't be so uptight. There's a whole world out there you're missing."

Sofia gasped, "I am not uptight."

"A little," she hit him. "Hey! I'm just saying! You may thank me."

"Okay, you can leave now, get out of here," Sofia shooed him away, slightly annoyed with him. Mario laughed more to himself sliding into the car. Waving to his sister, he put the car in reverse. Sofia watched the car pull into the street and drive off. Her heart went with Mario and off to college. Part of her regretted not going, but deep down, she knew it was for the best.

Turning on her toes, she walked back inside, feeling empty. Her closet friend was gone, and now she was stuck with Ruby. Unlike Mario, Ruby had other friends he preferred over Sofia, like Jamal and Monse. Her other best friend, Angelica, she hadn't talked to in nearly three months after her and Mario's split from whatever they were. Sofia felt awkward, like their friendship was different, which in a way, it was. Vanessa, another one of her friends, was busy working all of the time.

"Hey," Ruby smiled with Jamal walking behind him, "Mario leave?"

"Yeah, just now," she pointed to where their brother just was.

"Cool," Ruby spoke, taking a deep breath, "if you excuse me. I have to celebrate."

Jamal and Sofia gave him a confused look, "what are you celebrating?"

Ruby stopped inches from his room; he turned around on his heel with his mouth slightly open. "As if you don't already know."

"I don't," Sofia spoke honestly raising her hands in defense. Mario had just left; she had no idea what Ruby could be celebrating. Ruby gapped at her, "honestly, Rube."

"My own room," he threw his hands in the air, "fourteen years, and I finally get some personal space." Sofia almost laughed at her younger brother, but she knew that was a bad idea by the serious look on her face. Laughing at Ruby when he was serious was not suitable for anyone.

"Really," she eyed him skeptically. "You're celebrating because of a room."

"I wouldn't expect you to understand," Ruby spoke bitterly, eyeing her from head to toe. Jamal gasped at Ruby's bold statement.