Chapter 32

Sofia gently knocked on the door of the Diaz household. It was still early in the morning, but the day had already been long. Oscar's plan had worked. All of the Prophets had been arrested this morning. The threat was over, and Ruby was safe. Along with Cesar and the others.

Oscar and Sofia had an off week. They were in a weird dynamic where neither really knew what to say. They both lied and hid stuff from the other. Oscar had taken all the Rollerworld money from them, but he technically saved Cesar. After speaking with Monse and understanding her pain, Sofia realized how lucky she was to have Oscar. Everyone thought of him as a heartless Santos, but that wasn't true. He was kind, funny, and charismatic. She didn't deserve him.

The door opened, and Oscar stood in front of her. He seemed surprised to see her but opened the door. "Hey."

"Hi," she whispered. Sofia ran a hand through her hair. "I'm sorry about everything. You did exactly what we asked for. You saved Cesar. And the Rollerworld money does belong to the Santos." Oscar sighed and rubbed his chin. "And I'm not mad you didn't tell me about the plan." He tilted his head to the side. "But I do wish you would have told me. What if things had gone south?" Sofia began to ramble, her anxieties over the last few days taking over. "What if they figured out your plan? They could have killed you and Cesar." The words came out of her mouth so fast they started to blend together. Oscar did his best to follow along. "And what would I have done? What would I do without you? I love you, and I can't wait around for-"

Oscar finally acted, placing a hand over her mouth. "Hey, slow down." Sofia stared at him, his hand still covering her mouth. "I didn't tell you in case things went south." He dropped his hand. "It was safer for you."

"But not for you," she pushed his chest. "This whole protection thing has to go both ways." Sofia knew Oscar was a part of the Santos, and there would always be danger. But she needed him to be smart and careful. "I can't lose you either." His stare was intense, and she shifted uncomfortably. "Stop looking at me like that."

"Like what?"

Sofia rolled her eyes, "like that." He didn't, "I can't tell what you're thinking when you look at me like that."

"I'm thinking," he brushed a piece of hair out of her face. "You look really good wearing my clothes."

There were a few things she had been expecting him to say, but that wasn't one of them. Her cheeks flushed instantly, "stop changing the subject." That was something he commonly did when the topic got heavy. "I am serious. You need to be smart and careful."

"Okay, okay." He agreed after a moment. "It's over with now. The Prophets are no más." Sofia smiled, happy that there was no longer a threat. "But I wasn't lying. You do look good in my clothes."

Shaking her head, she pushed up on her toes and wrapped her arms around his neck. Oscar leaned down to kiss her, tilting her back slightly. He kissed her hard, the multiple days apart adding to the intensity. The door was still open, and he wasted no time and pulled her inside. Using his foot, he pushed her against the door. Sofia's back hit the wood causing her to grunt. However, it was muffled by Oscar's lips. "Where's Cesar?"

"Don't know," Oscar gently kissed her neck. "School probably."

Sofia let her head fall to the side, momentarily closing her eyes. The feeling didn't last long. His phone began to ring. At first, Oscar ignored it. But then it rang again. He sighed and stepped away to answer the call. Sofia tried to hide her disappointment. Oscar's face twisted as he read the name on the screen. "Oscar," she began. "Is everything okay?"

He offered her a kind smile. "Yeah, everything fine." But he wasn't answering the phone. Instead, he was staring at the screen. After a moment, he cleared his throat. "I have to take this."

"Yeah, no, of course." Sofia pushed herself off the door. "I should head home."

"I'll call you, okay?'

"I know." Sofia winked at him, "bye." Without waiting for a response, she pulled open the door and walked out. The call was most likely about Santos business, how it usually was. Now that the Prophets were gone, Sofia knew that everything was going to be okay. The real threat was gone now, and things could get back to normal.