twenty-three

TWENTY-THREE: QUESTIONS II

April 15, 1985

"It'll be just a minute Bill," I mumbled, opening the car door and he looked at me through the rearview

His look made me feel small because I knew exactly what he was thinking. Here I was at Diana's house when I was supposed to be at the studio like I had told Zaria.

And technically it wasn't a lie, because I was at the studio, but I needed to come and visit Diana.

I couldn't count how many times she had called me, since I saw her last, about wanting to talk. I wasn't sure what else could be said because it was obvious that what I wanted from her once upon a time she couldn't deliver, and now that I was with Zaria, I was unsure of what she really expected to happen.

Yet here I was knocking on her back door. She answered fast as if she had been standing there waiting, her long black hair falling over the shoulders of her sleeveless baby blue top.

She smiled widely, tucking some of her hair behind her left ear, "Michael."

"Diana."

She moved out of the way, allowing me to come into the quiet house. I looked around before turning to face her and asked, "where are the kids?"

She laughed, "school, Michael, remember? It's the middle of April."

I nodded, "oh." It was silent between us until I asked her, "what did you want to talk about it?"

"Come," she grabbed my hand, walking me to the living room that I didn't need her to escort me to, having seen enough of it. "Sit, please."

I thought about it for a second before sitting down, removing my hat and placing it on the side table next to my end of the couch. "I can't stay long Diana."

"I miss you," she came right out with it, sitting down next to me, using her hand to rub at the side of my face that I quickly moved out of her reach.