eleven

ELEVEN: TRUTH HURTS

My hand was deep in a bag of potato chips, waiting for the ambulance to arrive for Jackie

They were closing in because I heard the loud sounds of the siren not too far away, but there was no way I was going to be caught dead trying to comfort Jackie after what he did.

In all honesty I wanted to hop in the car with Enid and disappear too. Instead I stuck around keeping an eye on Jackie and Paula from afar as she rubbed his head, comforting him.

I rolled my eyes and ate my chips, watching as the bright ambulance lights flashed through the dark aisles of the drive-in and slowly cruisedp over to where the large crowd had formed.

People parted ways, so the truck could get through until it rolled to a complete stop, killing the ear-deafening siren. The paramedics hopped out quickly and Paula tried desperately to explain, talking fast as she moved out of the way for them to assess Jackie's injuries.

"Honestly, I don't think it's that bad." I said aloud. "Give him some robitussin... he'll be okay."

Paula looked away from Jackie and at me. I had tried to distance myself, but he was my ride home, so I couldn't back up too much. "Zaria, stop. He's really hurt."

"You were here when it happened, too?" One of the EMT's asked, turning to face me. "Can you tell us what happened?"

"Me?" I pointed a finger at myself and the man nodded. "Oh no. I don't... I mean I saw a lil' glimpse. I'm an unreliable witness. As a matter of fact, I hate to say it, and I hope I don't sound ridiculous-I don't know who this man is. I mean he could be walking down the street and I wouldn't know a thing." A quick glance in Jackie's direction he shot me an irritated look before letting out a hiss in pain.

I reached back inside my bag of chips retrieving one as I looked back at the paramedic.

"Sorry man," I quickly said before stuffing my face.

I couldn't pretend I didn't know Jackie for too long because then I would've been stranded. Unfortunately, I had to tell the paramedics what happened-without giving up my good girl Enid- and ride in the range with Paula behind the driver's seat to the hospital. She was a terrible driver, but luckily, she didn't try to hold a conversation. That still didn't mean the ride wasn't awkward.

When I realized what hospital we were going to I almost threw up in the front seat of the car. Out of all the hospital's in L.A. we just had to go to the one my mother worked at.

Since it had been a long time since I paid attention to her schedule I hoped that tonight wasn't her float night as Paula and I, side-by-side, entered through the emergency doors after parking the car.

Luck was on my side with not one spotting of my mother in the ER. My shoulders fell as I let out a sigh of relief and I could finally release my ass that was clenched tight with fear. I went up to the nurse's desk, hoping to use the phone and when given permission I called Bill's home phone, but was met with a recording machine. I hung up and tried the security office on Hayvenhurst's property, still no answer.