thirteen - victory tour

THIRTEEN: CONFESSIONS

I hated the way lip-gloss felt against my lips

I hated the way lip-gloss felt against my lips. The only decent thing about gooey liquid was that the flavored ones tasted good.

But this one that LaToya had handed off to me was tasteless and sticky, but she felt that it would add to my look since I wasn't going to wear any makeup.

She was coo-coo if she thought I was going to put a bunch of gunk on my face to go and stand in humid eighty-degree weather with not a fan in sight. Not to mention it was going to be crowded with all the fans.

So, makeup was definitely not an option and as she walked out of the hotel bathroom with her face done to somewhat pristine perfection-or at least that's what she thought-I had wished I'd rode back to the stadium with Michael like he offered.

But no. I just had to come see Janet, who since I'd walked in, had been paying me absolutely no attention as she ran up hotel phone bill with her long-distance call to James. So much for being a decent friend and within seconds of being in the room before I could even high-tail back out into the hallway LaToya had pulled me into the bathroom to decide which eyeshadow she should put on.

And now I was wearing very sticky lip-gloss.

"Janet will you get off the phone?!" LaToya said exasperated. Janet looked her sister's way and rolled her eyes before turning back toward the wall, but prepared to end her conversation.

LaToya looked at me as she grabbed the white jacket she was about to slip over her white sleeveless shirt and I frowned. Her eyes bounced from one side to the next.

"What?"

"I told you to go with the neutral colors. That orange is hideous."

She kissed her teeth and slapped my shoulder with her purse. "What would you know? You don't even wear makeup."

"Yeah, but I know when someone looks like a hot mess." I stood up from the couch in their hotel room. "And you look like a hot mess."

She gawked at me before closing her mouth. "You should've left with Michael."

I agreed. "I should've."

She made a face before turning back to Janet. "Janet!"

"Bye James, bye!" Janet quickly hung up the phone and turned to look at LaToya with a scowl. "Was that really necessary?!" Her soft voice yelled. "I was getting off."

Janet stood up from the bed and walked over, stopping in front of LaToya at the back of the couch. "Is the orange eyeshadow really the look you're going for? If so... it doesn't look good."

I threw my hands up. "That's what I said!"

LaToya stumped off toward the hotel door and walked out yelling. "I'm going to the lobby!"