eighteen - victory tour

enjoy this update as we're about to begin the tumultuous journey of Zaria Noelle Robinson and Michael Joe Jackson. If you know me then you know... 👀

- B' Messy

EIGHTEEN: SHE WORKS HARD FOR THE MONEY

third person - omniscient

September 16, 1984
MONTREAL, CANADA

Scratching at the thick sideburns pasted on the side of his face, Michael looked back noticing Zaria lagging behind as she picked aimlessly at the rack of clothes and knick-knacks of the souvenir store.

Usually, the souvenir shop was her favorite stop of the tour. She'd collected a thousand keychain rings, a couple of T-shirts and too many mugs to count.

But this time around she hadn't picked up a single item to run over and show him that she just had to have it or else she'd die.

And one time she actually laid out on the floor and held her breath. He'd never been so entertained or embarrassed in his entire life.

As a matter of fact, watching as she walked solemnly to the other side of the store, Michael noticed she hadn't been in much of the mood for anything ever since the tour picked back up two weeks ago.

She hadn't attended a show and usually what was non-stop talking between them had now become uncomfortable silence.

He wondered if he did something wrong. If the night they spent together was premature and rushed, because that had been the last night she was herself.

"She hasn't been herself," Bill spoke what Michael was thinking aloud, watching Michael as his eyes remained glued on Zaria.

Turning his head Michael nodded, confusion painted on his face told by furrowed brows. He bit down lightly on the side of his bottom lip, mumbling a soft, "I know..."

He didn't take Zaria as one to internalize, at least not this heavily, but for the last two weeks she hadn't said much of anything. Something had to be wrong.

He tried to recollect any other abnormal behavior he may have noticed but didn't think anything of. Other than her quietness, which was rare in itself, everything seemed in place.

Then he thought...

"Hey Bill," He said in an almost whisper, turning his head to look at his bodyguard. "Have you seen Zee eat anything in the last couple weeks?"

The perplexed look that came on Bill's face elicited a concerned look from Michael.

He'd been so caught up in the tour that he failed to notice that Zaria hadn't been eating as usual. That alone raised some questions and also validated the notion that something was definitely wrong.

The shopping trip was cut short and just as she'd submerged earlier that morning, Zaria retreated to her single hotel room. It was the first time since the first week of the tour that she actually didn't want to share a bed with him.

Ten minutes after their return to the hotel room Bill came knocking on the door, holding a folded piece of paper that he'd asked for.

Thanking him and retrieving the piece of paper Michael went into the enclosed bedroom to make the call.

"Brotman Memorial..." The soft voice of a female receptionist announced after a few rings.

"Nurse Claire Robinson, please..."