twenty-seven

saprize shawtayyy.

TWENTY-SEVEN: I AIN'T SAYN' SHE'S A GOLD-DIGGER BUT...

August 2, 1985

August 2, 1985

The biggest hump of Michael and I's engagement wasn't his advisors, or even the media catching us, it was something so much worse.

Breaking the news to my mother.

If anyone was against getting married young it was her. She was married at seventeen and it'd failed almost eighteen years down the line and for that she was dead set against it.

So, it was safe to say that both me and Michael were scared, though, throughout the morning I think Michael heightened to terrified.

I knew my mother. I was keen to what buttons to push and when to tread lightly. Which is why I told Michael to call her and ask her to come and have brunch with us. I would've called and asked her myself, but him taking the initiative to call her up himself would win him some brownie points.

Then if this was anyone other than Michael I would've waited until it was a Saturday, and picked a congested restaurant, because the more people around the more unlikely her creating a scene would occur unlike if we told her at her own house. She'd blow a gasket in private but would remain reserved in public.

Unfortunately, because of who Michael was telling her in a small, more intimate setting, was our only choice. But it was fine, I just prayed that we would make it through unscathed.

So, to further butter her up I made sure I wore something nice. She liked when I got dressed up because, well, that I was unsure of. But it was definitely a thing for her. I still had pictures of me in dresses, pigtails, and frilly socks with ruffles haunting me to this day.

I was in the bathroom giving myself one last look-over when Michael came to the door. "Bill said your mom just pulled up. Zee, I don't know about this..."

"You've performed in front of thousands of people for over a decade now and you're scared of a little chicken and pancakes with my mom?" I walked out of the bathroom, passing him by to slip the heels on my feet.