nine

NINE: PROM, DISGUISES, & AN INVITATION

April 23, 1984

April 23, 1984

The strapless black and red velvet prom dress with black polka dots and bubble hem made me want to gag as I stared at myself in the mirror. The entire week had been filled with shopping for prom, talking about prom, and preparing for it. The one thing I hoped would be taken away considering I had gotten detention not once, but twice this week, was still available to cause my pain.

Though that's probably why my mother was making me go. That and for the experience she seemed to think I would regret not experiencing later on down the line, though I knew myself, and I would never regret not going.

I didn't mind wearing nice dresses or even getting my hair done, but when it came to a whole bunch of gunk on my face, heels, greasing my entire body from top to bottom, and sporting a thousand-and-one bobby pins in my hair-that's when I drew the line.

I felt like a walking piece of dark meat that just came out of the frying pan. That's how much I was shining.

On top of that it was going on six-thirty and I'd been awake and ripping and running since six in the morning. Not because I wanted to either, but because my mother had specifically taken off for this occasion. I hadn't been this pampered since... well, since never. I'd gotten my nails done, my feet, hair, and lastly my makeup.

My makeup was free courtesy of my aunt Keri who swore she was some celebrity makeup artist, whom I realized was more of an amateur after she poked me in my eye with the eyeliner.

The worst part of it all was I hadn't eaten or drank anything but a bag of chips and a check soda from the vending machine in the mall.

So, not only was I starving and thirsty, but irritated because this is the last way I thought I would spend my Saturday night.

"Zaria!" My mother scolded as her hand slammed into the closed and locked door of the bathroom I'd lock myself into. "Trophy, Josiah, and Alex are here and they're ready to leave. So, get out here... now!"