thirty-one

A/N: It's been a minute and I'm sorry but I blame it on writers block a little? Laziness? Real life issues? lmao.
anyway... see y'all in march? 😗😗 (kidding, kidding)
also. things are really shaky in this chapter. i just ask that y'all not hate zaria too much or i'll cry.
thanks for coming to my ted talk.

~ ~

THIRTY-ONE: 1, 2, 3 SECRETS

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
It could all be so simple
But you rather make it hard
Loving you is like a battle
And we both end up with scars

- Lauryn Hill
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I remembered the ride from the airport to Claire's clearly.

I was in disbelief because the call from her mother was vague, and even Zaria was in disbelief, immediately pushing the news out of her mind, telling me that she had all the information and didn't want anymore.

That didn't stop me from getting Bill to turn around and go to Claire's, though, instead of the direction to Hayvenhurst he'd started in once we left the airport.

Zaria had gone dead quiet, forcing me to make subtle glances in her direction to watch for tears or even a hint of expression, but she was hard as a rock.

I wanted her to know that I was here, even though I was right next to her, so I gripped her hand, caressing her hand with my thumb in my own anxiety.

The ride to Claire's felt longer than it actually was, L.A. traffic not making it any better, but as we closed in on Claire's house Zaria had pulled her hand away from mine.

She just put her hands in her lap, before pushing them between her folded legs, turning her head to look out of the window when my eyes traveled to her face.

I let her be, mostly because we weren't in the car alone, but pressing for her to talk to me just didn't seem like the right thing to do.

It still didn't make things any less awkward, especially when Zaria, expressionless and frozen was embraced by a very distraught Claire when we finally made it to the house.

Zaria didn't even sound like herself as we stood in the kitchen, me being there more for support and to pass my condolences, as she asked Claire, "what happened to him?"

"Rhonda said it was a trucking accident. She didn't go into detail," Claire shook her head, "and I didn't really want to ask."

"Trucking accident..." Zaria repeated, but it didn't sound like she was asking for clarification, but just trying to get it to sink in. Almost robotically, she asked, "and this happened on my wedding? Did she say what time?"