seventeen - victory tour break II

SEVENTEEN: I LOVE YOU, TOO

August 29, 1984

For it to be a Wednesday afternoon the mall was packed, making the arcade overflow with kids and teens. I watched from across the way, sitting at the open four-seater table of the food court, sipping on my milkshake.

Or more like sucking because for some odd reason it was thick as hell.

Just as I was trying to find the clock, off in the distance I finally saw Josie and Trophy. It'd been a while since I'd seen Josie, maybe since early July, but a lot had changed in the last month or so.

Not so much his sense of style as he still rocked jeans, a tee, and some outlandish colorful button-down shirt that he kept open.

However, on his head he'd had some type of earthy look going on with his hair. He'd allowed it to grow out, shaping itself as it may. Overall, in my eyes, it looked a mess.

I watched as they walked hand in hand, talking about something that had Trophy smiling from ear to ear. She collided in the side of his body softly, spreading his lips into a wider smile than it already was.

Trophy and I were never really girly girls, however, since I'd been home, I'd noticed she'd started wearing makeup. Then in her dark burgundy corduroy pants with a white shirt tucked inside, she had a matching velvet scrunchy to hold up the roller-set that she'd obviously put in her hair.

She looked like something straight out of a teen fashion magazine, making me feel some type of way about the graphic tee I wore tucked into a knee-length pair of white pinstripe shorts.

They stopped, looked around, then Trophy's eyes landed on me. She threw her arm up, waving and calling out my name. "Zaria!"

Josie spotted me too, but not looking as excited as Trophy but nonetheless still happy to see me.

When they reached me he released her hand to bring me into a hug. I guess he really did spend the rest of his summer in the gym because I felt it through the tightness of his hug.

With pleasantries out the way we all sat down Trophy starting to go on and on about how happy she was that we were all back together. The Three Musketeers.

"Yeah since Zar up and left." Josie looked over at me then jazzing asked, "How's it going with your dad?"

I looked up at him, sliding my milkshake closer, leaning my head down to suck from the straw. "Hm?"

"Your dad. Remember you told me you were staying with him for the summer, maybe even for the rest of the year."

I swallowed the cold drink, "Oh yeah. It's great." I'd forgotten all about the lie I'd concocted for Josie.