Chapter 55: Goodbyes

"Are you really sure about this?" Hongjoong questioned as his eyes shifted between Illa and San.

The Princess nodded, taking San's hand in hers as she smiled back at Hongjoong.
"I'm sure."

The King sighed. Rubbing his temples and getting up from his throne, he walked up to the couple, his eyes narrowing on San as he pointed a finger at him, "You better take care of her over there."

San widened his eyes at the King's menacing tone as he nodded fervently to the blue-haired man.

"Don't worry Your Majesty, she'll be safe with me. I promise."
He said with a smile as he squeezed Illa's hand, earning a warm smile from the latter too.

Hongjoong ran a hand through his hair, a wave of defeat washing over him as he observed the two. "Well I don't see why you two came to ask for my permission," he sighed, letting a small scoff pass his lips, "It looks like my opinion doesn't matter at all, since you two already seem to have all of this well planned out."

Illa felt the dread in her brother's voice and let go of San's hand before walking over to him. She enclasped her hands with Hongjoong's before enveloping him in a hug. The King was startled by the sudden embrace but returned it, bringing his arms up to her back as he buried his head into her shoulder.

"Your opinion will never not matter to me Hongjoong." She said in a whisper as she tightened her grip around him, "If it wasn't for you, none of this would've been possible. Thank you, for always looking out for me."

She loosened herself from the embrace, giving Hongjoong a small kiss on the cheek before letting go of him. A warm smile rose to his cheeks as he silently nodded at her.

No Illa. If anyone should be grateful, it's me.

San followed this by bowing fully to the King, an expression of gratitude to Hongjoong for his consent to him in taking Illa out of Eden.

Hongjoong nodded at San before walking up to him. He patted his arm as he gestured for the Aralez to give him a hug. San widened his eyes in confusion but abided by the King's action, giving him a light side hug.

"Hurt her again and I'll kill you." Hongjoong whispered in his ear, sending chills down San's back as the latter gulped before removing himself from Hongjoong's 'embrace'.

Illa tried to contain her laughter as she saw the look on San's face. She shook her head at Hongjoong before grabbing San's arm and leasing him out of the throne room. She did however, turn around at the door to wave one last goodbye to Hongjoong before the doors closed behind them.

Their walk through the corridors was silent as San was still slightly spooked by Hongjoong's threat. Just because he was immortal didn't mean that he had no fear. And an angry Hongjoong was something to be very fearful of in his eyes.

Illa glanced at him and shook her head with a smile on her face.
"Don't worry, he won't kill you."

San widened his eyes before looking at her, "He won't?"

Illa nodded, "Mhmm. If you hurt me again, Ali will probably be the one who kills you, not Hongjoong."

San stared at her unblinking as could just envision all the things her friend would probably enjoy doing to him if anything bad were to happen to her.

Illa chuckled at his expression, a light feeling in her chest as she felt at ease teasing him,"Relax San. I'm just kidding! You have nothing to be scared of."

"Yes, yes I do Illa. I have a lot to be scared of." He said with a frown as he moved his gaze to the ground.

She tilted her head at him, "What do you mean?"