Chapter 39: Memories pt. 2

3 Years Ago

She had less than a day to figure this out. Her sister would be back for Illa in the evening so she needed to work fast.

Once she told Ali that she would do anything she could to bring her friend back, the girl had been in better spirits, but was still equally as worried as Aaralyn was, for whether the guardian could actually pull it off.

Aaralyn took a heavy breath as she stared blankly at the corpse in front of her. How on earth was she going to do this?

Her mind was baffled, and Ali could clearly tell that this was the case. She stood beside the guardian and turned to her.

"Do you know any gods who would be willing to bring her back?"

Aaralyn shook her head, "No..they don't usually take any interest in humans, that's why there's us. We're the in between of deities and the mortal realm."

She rubbed her temples as some of the butterflies around her fluttered past her face. Every butterfly was the soul of a human who passed away. They're white because they've moved onto their next lives, unlike Illa's.

Suddenly a thought passed through Aaralyn's mind, causing her to widen her eyes as she contemplated on whether what she was thinking of could work.

This way she wouldn't technically be breaking any rules.

Yes, she got it.

"Ali, are you familiar with a dog deity called Aralez?"

Ali shook her head, "No, why?"

"They're ancient rare creatures that have the power to resurrect fallen warriors by licking their wounds.. and I happen to know of one that exists,"

This time it was Ali's turn to widen her eyes. A small warm feeling stirred in her as she digested what Aaralyn was insinuating.

"But Illa wasn't a warrior,"

"Not officially, no. But the heart of a warrior is someone who protects the people they love, and considering the fact that she died with all of those scars, I'm going to take a bet that that's more than enough to qualify her as a 'warrior'."

A smile wrenched it's way into Ali's lips as tears brimmed her eyes.

"Well then, how do we get the Aralez to come here?"

"The Aralez I know belongs to my sister. And his name is Shiber. They'll be coming in the evening to collect Illa's body, so that's when we'll get him to bring her back."

Ali nodded in understanding.

"But there's one problem."

Ali tilted her head, "What is it?" she asked.

"I can't communicate with Shiber."

"What do you mean?"

"He's a deity, I am a guardian, remember? We can't understand each other."

Ali hung her head at the realisation. How were they supposed to bring Illa back if they couldn't just ask this Shiber themselves?

"But, you can."

Ali looked back up at the guardian, eyebrows scrunched as she pondered as to whether she heard her correctly.

"Me? I can talk to an Aralez?"

Aaralyn nodded, "Yes, yes you can."

"I'm sorry Aaralyn, but I think you're confused. There's no way that I can talk to a dog god. I don't have that kind of power."