Chapter 31: Done

Wooyoung strode down to the galley, his light steps making small thuds against the wooden planks beneath him. He opened the door and let a sigh of relief escape his lips as he saw the empty room in front of him. Pulling out a chair and slumping himself down into it, he ran a hand through his hair and let a deep breath ease his tense muscles.

".. To me, death was a luxury that I constantly wished for... I'll never be free.."

He hated it. He hated those words that came out of her mouth. He hated that he was a jerk even when she was feeling like that.

But most of all, he hated that he actually dreaded going to talk to her when Ali asked him to earlier that day.

He banged his fist on the table, a searing pain alerting his senses as he grunted a curse under his breath.

"I'm such an idiot.."

"Yes you are."

His eyes darted to the source of the voice, fist clenched, ready to get a bruise on them if it meant that he would get some peace and quiet.

"Woah, easy there Woo. It's just me,"

Yeosang held both of his hands up, eyes wide as the master gunner glared at him, his very eyes screaming an anger and frustration that he hadn't seen in a long time. After what seemed to be a lifetime to the poor surgeon, his friend surprised him by letting out a hefty scoff. And after releasing his ghostly-white fist from the table he gestured for him to take a seat.

"You alright?"

Yeosang asked as he pulled out the wooden stool from under the table and sat on it, clearing his throat from the surge of slight fear that his friend induced on him just a moment ago.

"What on earth are you supposed to say to someone who thought of killing herself everyday for seven years?"

"Is this Illa?"

"Of course it's Illa. Who else do you think it would be? Do you think Ali would think like that?"

Yeosang's eyes widened at Wooyoung's remark.

"Of course?"

The gunner looked at the surgeon with a dull expression.

"Wooyoung, I think you're being really immature and insensitive about this."

"What're you—"

"That girl has gone through more pain and suffering than we will probably ever face in our lives, Wooyoung. Just because she's emotional and more fragile than Ali does not mean that we have any right to undermine her feelings."

"How would you feel if you were like her? A slave like for half of your life; completely powerless, humiliated, ashamed? Does that mean anything to you?"

Wooyoung lowered his gaze. He heard the sound of the surgeon crossing his arms, the linen fabric rubbing against each other as a scoff rang in his ears. Of course it meant something to him, he wanted to say. Of course he wanted to help, but his mouth was saying the exact opposite of what he was feeling. And he couldn't stop it.

"Wooyoung, you were the best sniper in Beldru— heck you were the best sniper in the entire Feng Hua military. But the only reason you left was because their whole operation didn't sit right with you. You chose to leave. They didn't have that choice."

"Don't you dare turn this on me. Well what about you, huh? You think you can patronise me with your stupid wisdom just because you can sympathise with her because of your dead family? I—"