Chapter 51: Bad Blood

Illa sat alone in the kitchen. By now it was around one or two in the morning and the great chatter and music in the palace had died down, indicating to her that everyone had gone to bed. She had sent Seonghwa away shortly after she began crying, wanting to be alone though her friend was apprehensive in leaving her by herself.

Her hair was down, the locks cascading down her back and against her bare shoulders. It was almost some form of protection for her, against the pain that wrenched in her heart.

She decided to go back to her room and get some rest, knowing that sleep would probably be the best distraction for her until daybreak, where she would carry on her duties as normal, putting on a brave face so that everyone would think that she was alright.

As she took her heels and her tiara in her left hand she used her right to steady herself as she got up, her legs wobbling slightly as she had been sitting down for so long.

She made her way out of the kitchen through the back entrance and walked the long but quiet route back to her room.

As she passed one of the palace's supply closets, she stopped in her tracks. Her ears perked up to what she had sensed, hearing muffled words and exasperated breaths coming from behind the closed door.

She walked up to the door and felt bile rise in her throat as she heard the voice of a woman, softly moaning through deep breaths.

Without a second thought, Illa placed her hand on the handle and opened the closet door, revealing none other than the make out session of Choi San and Jeon Hyerin.

She scoffed as she saw the position the two were in, not being able to process how else to act. Hyerin was sitting up on one of the cabinets with her hands running through San's hair, whilst the latter stood with his grip firmly on her waist as he ran his other hand up and down her back.

"You've got to be kidding me."

They both broke their passionate kiss and took their hands off of each other as the Princess stared at them with an amused disgust.

Hyerin fixed her hair before hopping off the cabinet, taking a couple of steps towards Illa. Her eyes were no longer playful and innocent as they were when she introduced herself to the royal family, instead they were sinister, full of ice-cold daggers that only shone for the Princess.

"You ever heard of knocking, Your Highness?" She spat with venom as she jabbed her finger into Illa's chest.

"Thought that you of all people would have some human decency and common sense to do so."

Illa scoffed at her words before slapping Hyerin's finger away from her.

"I'd watch my tongue if I were you Miss Jeon. I'm not the one making out in the closet of someone else's home."

"Hah! You make it sound like we intruded!" Hyerin laughed, before turning to San and pulling something out of his pocket.

"You see this, Princess?" She waved the piece of paper in front of Illa's face with a smirk.

"This, is an invitation from your King. But please if you don't believe me, allow me to enlighten you." Hyerin unfolded the piece of paper and held it up to her eye level to read it in a mock-squire sort of way.

"On behalf of his Majesty, the King of Eden, we formally invite you to be a guest at our Kingdom's 8th Anniversary celebration."

She closed the paper and leaned closer to the Princess.

"So you see Princess, we have every right to be here."

Hyerin turned back towards San and wrapped her arm around his waist, to which he reciprocated as he looked at Illa who was staring at the ground.