49. you're 17?!

29/7/18

I pull a warm sweater over my head, trying not to disturb the waves I've curled tirelessly into my hair earlier this morning. The plush knitted wool embraces my body. The pinkish material suits me well, and goes perfectly with the daisy patterned dress I have on underneath.

I'm in the big apple for the week. School holidays just started, and before I got too comfy on my couch eating and watching Netflix for endless hours I decided I should sort out some things. Plus, Maddy was going anyway for a photoshoot so I could tag along.

Today, my agenda is simple; get coffee, go to a meeting.

I've been offered an incredible role in the new Little Women film, after sending in a successful audition. And to say it has an amazing, extraordinary cast on board is a humongous understatement.

"Okay I'm gonna get going now. Bye!" I shout out to Maddy as I grab my keys from the table and shove them into my bag. She briefly glances up at me, startled from the sudden noise, and waves.
"Bye! Have fun, and good luck! Don't get fired." She smirks.
"Thanks Mads. Love you!"
"You too."
I step out into the hallway, and go to press the button for the lift.

——

I yell out a quick thank you as I shut the taxi door. The driver was very kind, and gave me his personalised list of the best coffee stores in New York.

I head straight for his number one suggestion with my chin held high. I feel surprisingly confident about this meeting, considering that I don't know anyone there apart from the director, who I only met briefly. Her name is Greta, Greta Gerwig.

The cafe is on the corner, decorated with pretty flowers on the outside and a variety of pop-art paintings on the colourful inside, with various shades of purple.

The queue is short, luckily, so I order my iced mocha, give my thanks and begin my walk to the meeting location.

I say meeting. It's more of a lunch date to be honest. We decided to meet at restaurant, and instead of it being all formal with lots of papers and confusing forms, Greta has told us it will be more of a get together with threads of information sewn threw.

I arrive at the meeting place 5 minutes early. It's already a bit crowded. Loud pumping music beats through the space, and the delicious smell of pancakes wafts around in the air.

"Hello, table for Gerwig please?" I ask the hostess. She looks slightly tired, but her eyes spark up when she sees me. Her mouth hangs open for a few seconds, as if she's deciding whether to go full fangirl or be professional.

"Of course. Right this way!" She stutters. I follow her auburn hair to a wide booth at the back. The wooden table has a single lavender sprig in a vase on top.

"Are you Camryn Oak? If you don't mind me asking, that's all." She flounders once more. A pearly smile lights up my eyes, and I nod. It almost looks like her eyes will burst.
"Could i please get a photo with you? If it's not too much trouble?"
"Of course! Would you like me to take it?"
"Sure!"

I hold up her phone at a good angle, and take the picture. It actually turns out really well, due to the elegant lighting in here.

"Thank you so much! Oh, would you like any menus?" She says suddenly, remembering that she's on duty. By the starry daze that glazed over her eyes, she might have forgotten for a short moment. It reminds me of when I met Robert for the first time.

"Oh yes thanks! Five should be good." I plop myself down into the cozy black seats. I must say, this restaurant is quite fancy. I feel a bit out of place.