Chapter 11: Beach Pt.3

"Get on my shoulders."

"Absolutely not."

"Come on, it'll be fun."

"Absolutely not!"

"Why?"

"Many reasons."

"Name five."

I hold out a hand and count on my fingers. "I weigh too much-"

"No, you don't."

"Shh! I weigh too much, it seems inappropriate-"

"How?"

"Stop interrupting! I don't feel comfortable sitting on your shoulders, I don't want you to actually find out how much I weigh-"

"That one doesn't count, that's the same as the first."

"Shut up! And I- um- I- I don't want you to get hurt."

"I'll be fine."

"What if I kick you?"

"I'll be holding onto your legs, you won't kick me. Have you never played chicken fight before?"

"No, I haven't!"

"Come on, I'll show you how it's done."

"No!"

"Why?"

"Because I weigh too much, it's inappropriate, and- and the other reasons I already listed off."

"You think I'm too weak to hold you on my shoulders."

"No, I think I'm too heavy."

"That's the same thing."

"Is not."

"Yes, it is."

"Hoseok-hyung, Kenna, you guys joining us for the next round?" Jimin yells.

"Yeah, just a second!" Hoseok yells.

"No, you guys go ahead," I yell back.

Hoseok pouts dramatically. "I don't have a partner."

"Ask someone else."

"Who?"

Looking around, I spot a girl about my age lying under the shade of an umbrella not too far from us. "Her," I gesture in the woman's direction.

"I'm not asking a random stranger."

"Good luck playing by yourself, then."

Hoseok heaves out a sigh.

My eyes drift closed and I enjoy feeling the water lapping at my legs as I sit at the edge of the ocean.

Sand shifts and crunches as Hoseok walks away, and I feel a strange sense of regret. Almost jealousy.

The sun must be getting to me.

The guys shout, and I open my eyes to see Jungkook duck out from under Taehyung. The maknae whips his hair, water spraying outward, and some of the guys splash him for getting them wet. Logical logic.

And then he walks up.

Shock overtakes me at the scene unfolding in front of my eyes.

Hoseok wades into the water toward the group, followed by the girl I pointed out earlier. Everyone bows to her, and she politely bows back as I assume introductions are made. There's some small chat before Taehyung, Jimin, Yoongi, and the mystery girl climb onto the shoulders of Jungkook, Seokjin, Namjoon, and Hoseok respectively.