Chapter 36

Kate took a deep breath before she dialed Julia's number.

"Who is this?" Julia's voice asked when she picked up.

"Someone that you owe big time." Kate said.

"Kate Kane, well, I must say this is a surprise, I thought you were still mad at me." Julia said.

"Get your ass to Gotham now and I'll consider us even." Kate said.

"Okay, Kate, you know I can't just drop everything, even to pay a debt." Julia said.

"Julia, this is about Luke's dad." Kate said.

"What about Lucius?" Julia asked.

"I'm assuming that you've figured out who it is running around taking Bruce's place?" Kate asked.

"Yeah I have Batwoman." Julia said.

"Well, we recently discovered that Reggie Harris was framed for Lucius Fox's murder. We need you to help with the investigation to find out who's really behind it." Kate said.

"I'll be there as soon as I can." Julia said as she hung up.

"So, is she coming?" Sophie asked.

"Yeah she is. If only to get herself back in my good books." Kate said.

"So what exactly did she do?" Sophie asked.

"The same thing you did." Kate said.

"Wait what?" Sophie asked.

"Julia is the first girl I was with romantically after Point Rock. I thought we had a connection but in reality, she was babysitting me for Bruce and I did not find out in a good way. I've been on the outs with her ever since." Kate said.

"So, you hate it when other people lie to you, but you have no problem lying to them?" Sophie asked, raising an eyebrow, but Kate could tell that she was more amused than anything else.

"It's different. I lie about my identity not just to protect myself, but everyone I care about. My mom, Mary, Luke, Helena, Bruce, you, even my dad." Kate said.

"Even though he wants to kill you and is serving a life sentence for criminal actions?" Sophie asked, since Kate had been the one to put her own father behind bars.

"Oh, I still hate him, but at the same time, he's still my dad, kind of hard to let go of. Though honestly, I'm a bit surprised that Alice hasn't revealed my identity yet." Kate said.

"Wait, your lunatic sister knows you're Batwoman?" Sophie asked.

"Yeah, I still don't know how she figured it out." Kate said.

"How did you find out she knows?" Sophie asked.

"She taunted me about mom and I snapped back when I first started. Helena had to stop me from throwing her off the roof." Kate said.

"I don't blame you. But how do you know she won't reveal your identity to every lowlife in Arkham?" Sophie asked.

"She hasn't yet. I have a feeling that if she was going to do that, she would've done so by now. I don't know what she's playing at, but I will admit that a small part of me is hoping that the reason she hasn't exposed my identity is because there's still a trace of Beth buried deep inside that maniac." Kate said.

"You really think that?" Sophie asked.

"If there's one thing I've learned since I became Batwoman, it's that anything is possible. I thought my mom was dead, and yet she's still alive. Granted she's in rehab right now, but that's to be expected. I never thought my dad would be in prison, but he is." Kate said.