Chapter 19

While I am aware that Ruby Rose will no longer be playing Kate Kane in Batwoman, I don't see why I need to stop this story because of that. It's not like anyone can actually see who's playing Batwoman in this story. Sorry, I just needed to say that.

Mouse was surprised when he received another visitor a few days after the Kanes had visited him. He assumed that one of them had decided to come back for another pointless interrogation, but he was surprised at who was waiting for him. It was a young woman, around his age with brown hair and while he didn't recognize her face, he still knew who she was.

"You haven't paid me a visit in a while." Mouse said.

"I've been out of town, setting up the pieces for my plan. And I couldn't do that if I ended up here with you." Alice said with a smile, which Mouse returned.

"You realize how dangerous it is for you to be here now that the city is looking for you." Mouse said.

"And I am in the last place anyone would expect me to be in right now. Arkham. Just not as an inmate." Alice said.

"What if the guards hear us talking?" Mouse asked.

"You know the guards here are especially corrupt. My darling Dodgeson has already paid the ones on duty to give us privacy and fed fake prerecorded audio into the cameras, so they won't suspect a thing and for now, we can talk freely." Alice said and Mouse nodded, since as usual, Alice was one step ahead.

"Your family paid me a visit a few days ago." Mouse said.

"Not surprising. Did they give you any trouble?" Alice asked.

"No, Jacob was the way we both expected him to be, but Kate, she actually did throw me for a loop." Mouse said.

"What did she say to you?" Alice asked.

"I guess that she did some research before she came to see me, because she knows about my father and asked about him. However, she said something that got to me." Mouse said.

"What did she say?" Alice asked again.

"She knows about the face skin masks he made for me and she asked why it wasn't possible that he faked his death and made one for himself." Mouse said.

"Okay, I have to give her some props on that one. I wonder why we never considered that ourselves." Alice said.

"So what do we do about it?" Mouse asked.

"For right now, you need to sit tight until your liberation, which I promise will be soon. In the meantime, I am going to start looking into the possibility that August Cartwright is still alive and if he is, we will bring him to his knees before us before he dies for real." Alice said and Mouse nodded as Alice's watch beeped.

"And we're out of time. I promise, we'll speak again soon Jonathan." Alice said, being sure to avoid calling him Mouse, since that would be a dead giveaway before she got up and left.

"I was surprised you wanted to talk to me." Catherine said as she entered Jacob's office.

"This isn't about us. This is about Batwoman." Jacob said angrily.

"What about her?" Catherine asked.

"I know your company was working on a weapon capable of penetrating the bat suit. How close is it to being complete?" Jacob asked.

"It's still in the testing phases, but so far it's been very productive. Why?" Catherine asked.

"Because I want to buy enough of them to arm every Crow with Bat killing ordinance." Jacob said and Catherine nodded.

"Once the gun is ready, we can talk." Catherine said.

"Not just the gun. I want to hire Hamilton Dynamics to build an entire line of anti bat weaponry." Jacob said.

"I'll see what we can do." Catherine said and Jacob smiled.

"Excellent." Jacob said, unaware that this entire conversation had been overheard.

"You're dad is losing it." Luke said as he, Kate and Helena watched the meeting from the bug they'd planted in Jacob's office.

"Rather than focusing on taking down Alice or finding my mom, he's trying to find ways to kill both of us." Kate said.

"And he's the one in charge of the agency protecting this city?" Helena scoffed at that.

"His hatred of vigilantes is even greater than his desire to protect this city. And there's a good chance he's going to end up destroying it instead of my crazy sister or any of the other crazies in this city." Kate said.

"You think Sophie will end up supporting this?" Luke asked.

"I hope not, but you never know. I can only hope that her moral compass is stronger than her loyalty to my dad." Kate said.

"In the meantime, we should probably try to get our hands on that weapon and see if there's any way we can upgrade our suits to be resistant to them." Helena said and Kate nodded her agreement.