Chapter 25

"Okay, so I go out of town for one week and I miss all the action?" Helena asked as she entered Kate's office to find Kate and Luke talking.

"Sorry, but things moved too quickly for me to call you." Kate said.

"It's fine, but still, not only are your dad and Alice behind bars, but your mom, who is my dad's sister and my aunt, is alive and at Gotham General Hospital." Helena said.

"Yeah, that's why I'm glad you're back, since I'm gonna need you to take the reins here for a while." Kate said.

"What are you talking about?" Helena asked.

"Ever since I got back from Central City, I have been swamped by phone calls from authorities regarding the situations with all of my family members." Kate said.

"What about?" Luke asked.

"My mom is probably the easiest case, since she actually told me that she wants to go to a rehab center, since she's already aware that she can't move past what she went through alone, but there's the matter of finding the right place and running background checks on all the staff and finding her a good therapist." Kate said.

"Yeah normally that should be easy, but considering how many of Batman's enemies started out as doctors, I don't blame you for wanting to be thorough in finding one for your mom, since she's been through enough." Helena said.

"Agreed. And I'm also having to deal with the press and the authorities regarding both my dad and my sister's arrest, since word has leaked that Alice is my sister, so yeah, there's also that. So between that and protecting the city, I don't really have time to run the company right now." Kate said.

"Don't worry, I will take the reins here and I promise I won't try to knock you out of the company." Helena said.

"Great, it's just temporary until things calm down a bit." Kate said as Mary entered the office.

"Mary, what are you doing here?" Kate asked.

"I just wanted to see if you still considered us sisters." Mary said.

"What are you talking about?" Kate asked.

"Well, since your mom is still alive, she and your dad were still married, since we thought she was dead, so he never filed for divorce, which means that our parents were never legally married." Mary said.

"Mary, of course we are still sisters. You know I've never really given a damn about what the law says before, so why would I start now?" Kate assured her.

"So, what were you guys talking about?" Mary asked.

"I'm putting Helena in charge of Kane Industries while I deal with everything going on with my family, between my mom's rehab and dealing with the press regarding both of the other members of the Kane family going to prison." Kate said.

"Do you need any help with any of that?" Mary asked.

"Actually, you probably know more about the doctor scene, any chance you could help with the therapist search." Kate asked.

"Yeah, of course. I'm hoping your mom can set a better example than mine is." Mary said.

"Once she's out of rehab, I'm sure she will be." Kate said.

"So, what exactly is your plan? Cause you know there's about a hoard of reporters outside the building right now right?" Mary asked.

"I am aware. But I'm not saying anything until tomorrow, since that's when I've scheduled an actual press conference to not only officially name Helena temporary CEO, but also give my statement on these matters." Kate said.

"Wow, you actually almost sound like a real CEO." Helena said.

"Shut up." Kate said with a smile as they all laughed.