Chapter 44

The countdown to season two of Batwoman has begun. Soon Ryan Wilder will be making her debut in this universe like she will on the TV, though I assure you that Kate Kane will still be Batwoman in this story.

Kate was surprised when Sophie entered her office the next day, though she immediately smiled when she saw that her girlfriend had brought big belly burger with her.

"Did we have a lunch date?" Kate asked her.

"No, but one of the perks of being the boss of the Crows is that I can surprise my girlfriend with lunch every once and awhile." Sophie said as she placed the bag on Kate's desk.

"Why do I get the feeling that while you definitely came here for a surprise lunch date, it's not the only reason you're here." Kate said.

"Well, since I know that you and Helena have been pretty preoccupied looking into Frank Bertinelli, I thought I'd take a better look at the Lucius Fox case." Sophie said.

"Yeah, I mean, we'd focus on finding whoever did kill Luke's dad if we actually had a lead on it, but the trail's gone cold." Kate said.

"Until now." Sophie said.

"What did you find?" Kate asked.

"One of my many tasks after taking over the Crows is cleaning up the mess left behind by my predecessor. I was going through some old records and I found out something interesting about the Lucius Fox case." Sophie said.

"Okay, don't leave me hanging, what is it?" Kate asked.

"It turns out that after Lucius was murdered, the Crows paid the owner of the Sip and Dash a cleanup fee of 50,000 dollars." Sophie said.

"Sounds more like a coverup if you ask me." Kate said.

"My thoughts exactly. I was hoping that maybe Luke could help me look into this, since I don't know who I can trust in the Crows right now until this is resolved." Sophie said.

"Done, but if you don't mind, I'd like a favor in return." Kate said.

"And that favor would be?" Sophie asked.

"Access to Arkham's phone records, since I'm positive that Alice is the one who brought Frank Bertinelli back to Gotham, I just need to figure out how she got in touch with him." Kate said.

"I'll make it happen." Sophie agreed.

"Thank you." Kate said.

"No problem. By the way, when is your friend Julia arriving?" Sophie asked.

"Well if that's not an entrance line, I don't know what is." Julia Pennyworth said as she entered the office.

"Julia, I have to admit, it's not bad to see you." Kate said.

"I missed you too Kate. And you must be Sophie." Julia said as she held out her hand to Sophie, who shook it.

"How do you know who I am?" Sophie asked.

"We have something in common love. We're both Kate's exes." Julia said.

"Actually, Sophie and I are back together." Kate said.

"Huh, damn it, that means I owe Bruce 10 dollars." Julia said and Kate rolled her eyes.

"Wait, so you two dated?" Sophie asked.

"More like a friend with benefits'' sort of arrangement. Julia was a babysitter Bruce sent to check up on me after I started training." Kate said.

"I see." Sophie said.

"Relax, no need to get jealous love, I'm not the kind of girl who tries to steal someone else's girl. Besides, I was surprised I even got Kate's call, since she hates me." Julia said.

"I was betrayed by you and considering recently what happened at Point Rock had occurred, can you blame me for being angry?" Kate asked.

"Of course not. So anyways, what's going on. You mentioned something about my godfather's death?" Julia asked.

"We recently discovered the detective, district attorney and judge who sentenced the man who supposedly killed Lucius were guilty of corruption, so there's a chance that they got the wrong guy and given what Sophie just told me, the odds of that just went way up." Kate said.

"Bring me up to speed on what you know and I'll see if I can find anything else out." Julia said and Sophie and Kate both nodded their agreement as they began bringing Julia up to speed.