Chapter 42

"I can't believe we're actually doing this." Mary said to Kate as they sat down on the couch of Kate's apartment.

"Doing what, having movie night?" Kate asked.

"I meant having any form of sister time. I thought the great Kate Kane was all business nowadays." Mary said as she got comfortable.

"Yeah well, things are finally calming down in my life, so I figured I might as well use some of my downtime to focus on my personal relationships." Kate said.

"Really. Why do I get the feeling that it's not just me you're connecting with?" Mary asked.

"Sophie and I are back together." Kate said and now Mary's full attention was on her sister.

"Seriously? When did that happen?" Mary demanded.

"About a week ago." Kate admitted.

"And I'm only hearing about this now? Seriously Kate, these are the kind of things you tell your sister, wait, Alice doesn't know does she, because if you told her before you told me I'm leaving." Mary said and Kate actually chuckled at that.

"No she does not. I try to make a habit of visiting the family members I have in prison. Only time I'm planning on being in the same room as my dad is at his trial next month." Kate said, since she hadn't seen or spoken to her father since he was arrested.

"Yeah, I felt the same way about my mom." Mary said.

"Wait, felt, past tense?" Kate asked, since she knew that Catherine Hamilton was also in prison for tampering with a police investigation and bribery, among other things.

"Look, I know that you'll likely never forgive my mom for the role she played in what happened to your mom, but I couldn't keep living with the anger I had towards her. I'm not saying I've forgiven her, but I did go to see her in prison and it definitely helped me to be able to let go of my anger, if only because it wasn't healthy for me to keep holding on to it. Especially when it wasn't doing me or anyone else any good." Mary said.

"Look, honestly, I'll admit that while I'm still pissed at your mom, time has helped me see things from her perspective and while she went about it in the wrong way, I think that she did have good intentions. Unlike my dad. And my other sister is insane. I just, I can't let go of my anger at either of them, because I feel like if I do, I'm somehow justifying their actions." Kate said.

"Well, why don't you break it down for me. Help me understand." Mary said.

"I thought this was movie night, not Dr. Phil." Kate said and Mary rolled her eyes.

"Okay fine, don't talk to me about it, but I do think you should talk to someone about it Kate. If you keep it all bottled up, it's gonna tear you apart." Mary said.

"Wow, and here I thought you only got into med school because of your mom's money. Guess you have a brain after all." Kate said jokingly and Mary laughed.

"Very funny." Mary said.

"Look Mary, I promise, I will open up to you in time, it's just, these wounds are still a little too fresh right now." Kate said.

"I get that, but just remember, whenever you are ready to talk, I'm here." Mary said.

"Thanks. It's nice to know I still have a sister I can count on." Kate said.

"So anyways, onto a new topic, you looking forward to visiting your mom this weekend?" Mary asked.

"Yeah, I mean, I've talked to her on the phone a few times since she was admitted to the rehab facility. It sounds like she's getting better. She might even be able to come home permanently soon." Kate said and Mary nodded as they continued talking as the movie started.

"Hey, how was your sister night with Mary?" Luke asked Kate the following day.

"It was good, but honestly it also made me feel a bit guilty about keeping this from her. I mean even my mom knows I'm Batwoman." Kate said.

"You want to tell Mary about this? Kate, keeping her out of this life keeps her safe. If she found out, it would put her in danger." Luke said.

"Do I get a vote in this, cause I happen to agree with Kate." Helena said.

"Really?" Luke asked.

"Yeah, I mean, what Kate and I do every night, it's dangerous and while our suits are protective and we are well trained, we're not invincible. Having someone with actual medical training could help, since Mary does run a nonprofit clinic." Helena said.

"I guess. I just want to make sure that we consider all the factors, since Mary is also a huge social media influencer, which could lead to her exposing our operation." Luke said.

"She wouldn't do that. She knows that the only way we can do our job is if our identities remain a secret." Kate said.

"Okay then. I do actually think that having a real medic down here could be useful, I just want to make sure that you've taken all the factors into account." Luke said.

"I think it's worth the risk." Kate said.

"Okay then, I guess we're adding Mary to the team." Luke said, somewhat reluctantly, though he knew that he couldn't refute Kate and Helena's reasons, since they were right. Mary was the best choice for a medic for the team.

I know this chapter was mostly filler, but I wanted to focus on Kate and Mary's sisterly relationship, since I haven't done much of that lately.