Chapter 3

Jacob Kane had the crows on high alert, searching the city high and low for Sophie when one of his subordinates approached him.

"Commander, there's something on the news I think you should see." the agent said and Jacob nodded as he walked into the command center to find a message on the news with a familiar face.

"Hello Gotham. I hope that the commander of the crows is watching this message, since it does directly relate to a member of his flock." Alice said as two of her rabbits brought a tied up Sophie into view.

"Trace this." Jacob snapped.

"We're trying sir, but the signal's been bounced off numerous other servers, I'm not sure if we can complete the trace before she ends the message." the tech said.

"Do it anyways, at least we can get a radius to search." Jacob said.

"Yes sir." the crow said as they began the trace.

"Okay so, here's the deal. I have something the crows want and you Gotham, you're holding someone I want. Jonathan Cartwright is being held in Arkham Asylum right now. However, if Commander Kane is watching, he will not allow that injustice to continue for much longer. Otherwise, well, I hope he wasn't too attached to this pretty face." Alice said as she squeezed Sophie's face.

"Don't touch me. Commander, if you're watching, don't listen to her." Sophie shouted.

"Now, play nice little birdie. After all, you're not so tough without your gun. But anyways, Commander Kane, you have 24 hours to release Jonathan Cartwright into my custody. A prisoner exchange. You give me my Mouse, I'll give you your crow. Clock starts now." Alice said as the message cut out.

"Well?" Jacob asked.

"Sorry sir, we couldn't get a trace in time." the crow said.

"Then find out who the hell Jonathan Cartwright is. I want to know why this freakshow Alice wants him." Jacob said.

"Yes sir." The crows said as they got to work, both they and Alice unaware that a third party was also on the case.

"So, did you trace the signal?" Kate asked Luke.

"Alice's scrambling tech may have been good enough to beat the crows, but Bruce spent years and billions of dollars to develop technology that could overcome that particular barrier." Luke said.

"And he never sold it because?" Kate asked.

"He likes to hog the best toys for himself. You do realize that he could've sold the tech that the suit is made out of to the military and police right?" Luke asked and Kate chuckled.

"Bruce always said, the only person you can truly trust is yourself." Kate said and Luke nodded.

"Probably why he never told anyone why he left or where he was going." Luke said and Kate nodded.

"Remind me to kick his ass for that if he ever does work up the nerve to come back to Gotham." Kate said.

"No problem. Batwoman kicks Batman's ass. That would go viral on Youtube." Luke said and Kate chuckled.

"Of course it would. But anyways, back to the current problem?" Kate asked.

"Right, trace complete, she's holding Sophie in the same building she was last time." Luke said.

"Now you just need to fix my suit." Kate said.

"It should only take about an hour." Luke said.

"Get to work. So that I can." Kate said and Luke nodded.

"You know that my commander is never going to do what you ask right?" Sophie asked.

"Alice. Of course I do. At least, not until I show him the consequences of his defiance." Alice said.

"By killing me?" Sophie asked.

"Oh no, not you. You're trained for this, you'd gladly die to do your duty. But what about them?" Alice asked as she nodded down to the park next to the building where people were gathering for a movie in the park.

"Those are innocent people." Sophie asked.

"How else will Commander Kane get the message. If my mouse is not free by the end of my deadline, then he'll have the blood of Gotham's innocents on his hands." Alice said.

"Why not tell him that in your little message?" Sophie asked.

"Now where's the fun in spoiling that little surprise?" Alice asked.

"You really think that you'll pull that off?" Sophie asked.

"Please, the crows are a joke. Now if Batman were here, then I might be worried, since he'd provide both fun and a challenge." Alice said, right as a batarang flew through the air and embedded itself in the wall.

"What? No, he's dead." Alice said when she saw what it was.

"But I'm not." a new voice said and Alice turned to see Batwoman standing in front of her.

"Who are you?" Alice asked.

"I'm Batwoman. You're finished." Batwoman said.

"We'll see about that." Alice said as she pulled out her butterfly knives and charged Batwoman, who easily evaded her.

"How do you know my moves?" Alice asked.

"You mean how you strike randomly without any real skill, not hard to dodge." Batwoman taunted as she sent Alice flying back into a wall, knocking her out, allowing Batwoman to move over to where Sophie was being held and cut her free.

"Who are you?" Sophie asked as she rubbed feeling back into her wrist.

"A friend. And right now, your best chance of getting out of here alive." Batwoman said.

"This building is likely crawling with security. How do you suggest we get out?" Sophie asked.

"Like this." Batwoman said as she fired a grappling hook to a building next door.

"Really? You call this safe?" Sophie asked.

"Not enough bullets to take down all those guards. This is the fastest way out." Batwoman said.

"Fine." Sophie said angrily as she wrapped her arms around Batwoman's neck, Batwoman tried to avoid the shudder she felt at that as they swung out of the building and right over the people of Gotham, several of whom saw them and came to the same general assumption.

"Batman's back." A kid said as all eyes turned to where the Lady Crusader had landed.

"Well, it looks like you're a celebrity." Sophie said when they landed on the roof.

"You're welcome." Batwoman said.

"Thank you for the save." Sophie said.

"Let's try not to make a habit of it, since I doubt your boss would approve." Batwoman said and before Sophie could say anything else, she jumped off the rooftop and used her cape to sort of glide away.

"Have to admit, that is pretty cool." Sophie admitted with a smile, since she couldn't help but feel drawn to Batwoman for some reason, though she didn't know why, especially since there was still someone else who held that same special place in her heart.