Chapter 21

Sophie was walking through Hamilton Dynamics, unable to believe the lengths her boss was willing to go to kill one woman, since she knew he honestly didn't care about the Huntress enough to go after her. But Batwoman, he was obsessed with killing her and Sophie just didn't understand why? The Crows shouldn't be trying to kill Batwoman, in her opinion, they should be working with her, since they had the goals, just different methods and resources to achieve them. Not to mention Batwoman represented hope the city, something that as Sophie thought about it, the Crows never really had done and it really just strengthened her resolve to leave the agency after doing this favor for Batwoman, since she agreed that any weapon capable of piercing that suit was not something that should be mass produced for anyone to get their hands on. Especially lunatics like Alice.

Anyways, Sophie was driven from her thoughts when she heard someone call out to her.

"Agent Moore. What brings Commander Kane's second in command here?" Catherine Hamilton asked as she walked up to her and Sophie had to stop herself from glaring at the woman who created this project in the first place.

"Commander Kane told me about your deal with the Crows and I was hoping to get a sneak preview of our newest weapon?" Sophie asked and Catherine smiled at her.

"Of course. But let's keep this between us. I don't want word to get out about this before the project is complete." Catherine said.

"Agreed. I'd rather Commander Kane did not know about this, since technically, he doesn't know I'm here, but I was just too eager to see the gun for myself." Sophie said, lying through her teeth perfectly.

"Right this way." Catherine said as she led Sophie to one of the secure vaults.

"Wow, this place looks secure." Sophie said as she looked around.

"These vaults contain some of Hamilton Dynamic's most important assets and as such, we have installed the highest level of security. No one gets in without us knowing about it and no unauthorized personnel can enter at all. Only employees of the highest level of security clearance are allowed inside." Catherine said proudly and Sophie had to resist the urge to roll her eyes, since in her experience in life, there was no such thing as an uncrackable safe or vault. Every system had a weak point, even one as complex as this.

"I'm sure Gotham feels secure knowing the safety precautions you take to keep your weapons secure." Sophie said as she looked around.

"I notice that there are computers inside this vault." Sophie said as she walked up to one of them.

"We keep the designs for each item in this vault off the main Hamilton Dynamics server and are stored on these computers to prevent anyone with general network access from getting their hands on it, or outside hackers, who even if they manage to make their way into our network, won't be able to find the information they're looking for." Catherine explained.

"I have to admit, that is ingenious." Sophie said as she covertly plugged the hacker device into the computer as they arrived at the gun.

"Wow, that is one hell of a gun." Sophie said and Catherine nodded proudly.

"Yes, Hamilton Dynamics has been developing it since Batman came on the scene and with Batwoman's debut and the Huntress's return, it seemed prudent to finish it." Catherine said and Sophie was stunned to learn that this weapon had been in development back during Batman's time. Sure, she knew that for it to be completed this soon that it couldn't have just been thought but still.

"Mind if I take a closer look?" Sophie asked.

"Of course not." Catherine said as she picked the gun up and handed it to Sophie who held it up and looked like she was going to take a shot with it.

"Feels a bit heavy." Sophie admitted.

"I admit it's a bit bulky, but this is just the first model. Who knows what the future holds." Catherine said and Sophie made sure to distract Catherine as best she could by pretending to admire the gun until she heard a beep from the computer, indicating that the data had been downloaded.

"What was that?" Catherine asked.

"Just my watch. See." Sophie said, showing her smart watch, which was beeping an alarm, since she'd prepared an alarm to set off to cover for the beeping.

"You need to get back to work." Catherine said and Sophie nodded as she handed the gun back to Catherine who went about focusing on placing the gun back in its case and reactivating it's security protocols that she didn't notice Sophie covertly slipping the drive out of the computer and into her pocket.

That night, Sophie was standing by the turned on bat signal, waiting for Batwoman to appear.

"I have to admit, I wasn't expecting you to call me here." Batwoman said from behind her, causing Sophie to jump.

"Well, it's not like I have a phone number to reach you." Sophie said.

"Did you get it?" Batwoman asked as Sophie pulled out the drive.

"Everything Hamilton Dynamics has on that gun is on this thing. But get yourself a new mole in the Crows, since honestly, I'm handing in my resignation tomorrow. I can't stay with them as long as my boss is putting his own obsessions over the safety of the public." Sophie said.

"I understand. And I think you're making a good choice Agent Moore." Batwoman said.

"Please, call me Sophie, since I won't be an agent for much longer." Sophie said and Batwoman nodded.

"Sophie it is then. But I'm not telling you my name." Batwoman said as she took the drive and then jumped off the rooftops.

"That's okay. I already know Kate." Sophie said as she walked turned off the bat signal and walked off of the rooftop.