Chapter 20

"So, what's the plan?" Helena asked.

"If I can hack into the Hamilton Dynamics mainframe, I can get all the data they've got on that gun, since you can bet that your dad won't be the only member of your family after it." Luke said to Kate, who nodded.

"If Alice gets that gun before we find a way to neutralize its effect on our suits, she can actually kill us, since I melted down the railgun." Kate said.

"We should also figure out if there's anything else that can penetrate the suits." Luke said.

"Actually, there is one thing that I know of besides the railgun and this gun that can penetrate the suit." Helena said.

"What is it?" Kate asked.

"Luke's dad designed the suit's nanites to be impervious to nearly every element on earth. But there is one that can penetrate it." Helena said.

"Okay, but what is it?" Kate asked.

"A glowing green rock called kryptonite. Considering it's the only element on this planet that can hurt kryptonians, makes sense." Helena said.

"Any way Alice or my dad could get their hands on it?" Kate asked, though she knew the answer.

"Unlikely. From what my dad told me, every place that has kryptonite is highly fortified and next to impossible to infiltrate without inside help. Besides, neither of them knows that kryptonite exists or that it can pierce the batsuit, so we should focus on the Hamilton Dynamics gun." Helena said.

"I also think that we might be able to use my dad's actions to this company's advantage." Kate said.

"Meaning what?" Luke asked.

"Since my dad appears to be diverting the Crows funding and resources towards taking us down, maybe Kane Industries should start helping the GCPD actually protect the city by providing them with funding and new equipment and other resources to help them protect the city." Kate said.

"Not a bad idea." Helena said and Luke nodded.

"So, back to the topic of the gun, how are we getting our hands on it." Helena asked.

"We can't steal the gun without arousing suspicion. But Luke, if we can get you access to the Hamilton Dynamics system, do you think that you can get access to all the files in it?" Kate asked.

"I should be able to. Why?" Luke asked.

"I'm sure that all the data we'll need is stored in the Hamilton Dynamics system." Kate said.

"She's right. The system would contain all the technical data about that gun, which we can then use to find a way to render it useless against you." Luke said.

"It's too risky for us to go in. If Batwoman or the Huntress is seen breaking into Hamilton Dynamics, no matter what the reason, it could be used against us." Helena said.

"So what do you suggest?" Kate asked her cousin.

"You've got a friend in the Crows right? Sophie?" Helena asked.

"Yeah why?" Kate asked.

"Sophie still owes Batwoman one for saving her life, so maybe you could get her to use her Crows clearance to get us that data. Not to mention, I think that she should be made aware of what her boss is doing, since any weapon capable of penetrating the bat suit can do a lot of damage and hurt a lot of innocent people, especially if it's mass produced." Helena said and Kate sighed.

"Okay, I'll talk to her. I just hope that Sophie doesn't tell my dad." Kate said.

"I don't think she will. Sophie's moral compass is stronger than her loyalty. If you can get her to listen to you, I think she might not only help us, but she might even quit the Crows in disgust. Who knows, maybe this could pave the way for you to tell her the truth." Luke said and Kate nodded.

"I'll suit up and go talk to her." Kate said as she moved to suit up.

When Sophie arrived home that night, she was surprised when the lights wouldn't turn on. She quickly grabbed her gun before looking around.

"Show yourself." Sophie ordered before she relaxed at the sight of Batwoman dropping down onto her balcony.

"You know, a phone call would have sufficed." Sophie said.

"This required a personal touch." Batwoman said.

"What is it?" Sophie asked.

"You owe me for saving your life and I'm calling it in." Batwoman said.

"I didn't realize you were that kind of hero." Sophie said.

"Normally I'm not, but what I'm asking you to do is something that I need to be sure you won't back out of." Batwoman said.

"What is it?" Sophie asked as Batwoman played a recording of Jacob and Catherine's conversation for her.

"Wait, so my boss is commissioning his ex wife to build an entire arsenal of bat killing weapons." Sophie asked.

"Yes, and while a part of this is about my safety and the safety of the Huntress, my main concern is that this suit was designed to be impenetrable. Any weapon that can get through it is a threat not only to me, but to the general public as well, especially if they're mass produced." Batwoman said and Sophie couldn't argue with that.

"My boss is becoming obsessed with killing Batwoman. He's even started to lose sight of the hunt for Alice and his first wife and daughter. I've noticed it too. What do you need from me?" Sophie asked.

"I need you to use your Crows clearance to get the schematics of the gun and give them to me so that my team can find a way to disable it or shield ourselves from it." Batwoman said.

Sophie debated with herself for a few minutes before her moral compass won out.

"I'll do it, but after that, I'm not sure if I can remain a crow." Sophie said.

"That's fine. I just wanted you to be aware of what the man you were working for was really doing." Batwoman said.

"Thank you for that. I have a lot to think about after I do this." Sophie said and Batwoman nodded before she jumped off the balcony and used her grappling hook to swing away, leaving Sophie still somewhat conflicted about what she was about to do.