Chapter 5

"So, you ready to transmit?" Luke asked Kate as he got the camera ready in the Batcave.

"Ready when you are." Kate said as she made sure her mask and wig were straight.

"I honestly can't believe we didn't think of doing this the first time. Have you figured out what you're going to say?" Luke asked.

"I'll speak from the heart. Make sure Gotham knows that I'm not Batman, but I intend to carry on his mission." Kate said and Luke nodded as he finished hacking into the broadcast signals to make sure that this message was seen on every TV, computer, laptop, tablet and smartphone in Gotham.

"Okay then and we will be live in five, four, three, two, one." Luke said as he aimed the camera at Batwoman and pointed at her to start.

"What's going on?" Jacob Kane asked as he entered the command center of the Crows to find the office in turmoil.

"Sir, some unknown signal is taking over the airwaves." Sophie said, right as a familiar symbol popped up on the monitors.

"What the hell?" Jacob seethed.

"It looks like Batman is announcing his return." Sophie said, since the bat symbol was on screen, though now it was now in red.

Then the symbol changed to reveal the woman who'd saved Sophie the other night.

"Hello people of Gotham. I know you all think I'm Batman, but you're wrong. 3 years ago, he disappeared without a trace. And while the Crows do their best to protect us in his absence, it has become clear that they may not be enough against certain threats to our city. That is why as of now, I am pledging myself to pick up where Batman left off and help put our city back together. I am Batwoman." Batwoman said, right as the message cut out and the screens returned to normal.

"What the hell was that?" Jacob asked.

"It looked like someone found Batman's old gear and is trying to pick up where he left off." Sophie said.

"Sir, there is a chance that this is just another faker who's trying to rile the city up." Another Crow, Williams, said.

"I don't think so. Considering they had the knowhow to hack into the airwaves of all of Gotham, I think that this one could be legitimate." Sophie said.

"Either way, we are not allowing this vigilante to run around Gotham, making people think that they can't trust actual law enforcement. We need to find this Batwoman and lock her up before Gotham starts shining that light again." Jacob said and Sophie had to resist the urge to roll her eyes at her boss's attitude.

"Yes sir." She said, despite her personal reservations about that.

"Okay people, let's get to work." Jacob said.

"Nice speech." Luke said as he ended the transmission.

"Please tell me you're going to put it on Youtube." Kate said.

"Of course. Who knows, maybe Bruce will see it." Luke said.

"Maybe. But anyways, now that this is done, I need to go do some desecration." Kate said as she moved to change out of her suit.

"You are way too casual in saying that." Luke pointed out.

"I need to make sure my dad knows the truth." Kate said.

"Well actually, before you do that, there's something else you need to see." Luke said.

"Okay, what?" Kate asked.

"I was going through records to see if there were any other distinguishable changes between this earth and the old one and I found this." Luke said as he pulled a newspaper clipping for Kate to read.

"Wait Luke, this says that they never found my mom's body either." Kate said.

"Yep and you can look through your double's memories to confirm it. I'll give you one guess as to what was used to determine that your mom died in the crash." Luke said.

"Bone fragments. Let me guess, in the same place they found the bone fragments that were thought to be Beth's?" Kate asked.

"Yep." Luke said.

"So, it looks like Oliver might've done me a favor when he rebooted the universe, since there's a chance my mom is still alive to." Kate said.

"Kate, you have to remember that even if your mom is still alive, there's no telling what kind of shape she's in. After all, what if she's like Alice?" Luke asked.

"Then I'll deal with it. But Luke, what if this was your dad we're talking about?" Kate asked and Luke sighed.

"That's a low blow Kate." Luke said.

"I know, but Luke I now have a chance to put my whole family back together. Even if it means I have to put at least one of them in Arkham. Wouldn't you do the same if it was yours?" Kate asked.

"I would and I wasn't telling you not to look into this, I just want to make sure that you're prepared to deal with who or whatever you find." Luke said.

"I appreciate that, but Luke, I will be fine. I just need answers." Kate said.

"Okay well, you get the bones, I will run the tests." Luke said and Kate nodded.

"Okay." Kate said, trying not to sound too hopeful at the prospect of getting her family back.