Chapter 8

When Kate and Luke entered the Wayne R&D Vault, they found it was the same vault that had been hit before.

"Tommy again." Kate said as she and Luke walked through the vault.

"Looks like it." Luke agreed.

"Once you determine if he took the same thing as last time, I want you to do a full inventory of all the Bat tech in this building and have it discreetly relocated." Kate said and Luke knew exactly where she wanted it relocated to.

"On it. Think you should go pay Tommy a little visit?" Luke asked.

"Not yet. We don't have any proof and Batwoman can't start attacking private citizens. Especially since we could end up being wrong about both what was taken and who took it. But please tell me that Bruce actually did put a tracker in that gun?" Kate asked.

"None of this tech does. Bruce was always paranoid that someone might use it to locate the Batcave." Luke said.

"Of course he did. Once this tech is secure, correct that oversight." Kate said.

"On it." Luke said as Jacob walked up to them.

"Dad, what are you doing here?" Kate asked.

"I took a personal interest in this. I'm not losing you too." Jacob said.

"Dad, I wasn't even here when it happened. It was just a B&E and clear proof that one of my first orders of business for rebuilding Wayne Enterprises is to upgrade security." Kate said.

"Do you know what was stolen?" Jacob asked.

"Not yet. But there is a lot of valuable, high tech weaponry in this vault. We're planning on moving the most sensitive tech to another facility. One who's location I cannot disclose. Even to the head of the crows." Kate said and Jacob nodded.

"Relax, I have no interest in taking control of your affairs." Jacob assured her.

"Actually, there is something I could use your help with." Kate said.

"What?" Jacob asked.

"Training Wayne security force. I'll have Luke Fox work on upgrading the security system, but I wouldn't mind if the Crows trained my security guards so that these sort of break ins don't become routine." Kate said and Jacob smiled.

"I'll see if any members of the Crows are interested in some extra pay for that." Jacob said and Kate nodded.

"Great. Now we are still doing inventory of what was taken, but once we figure that out, I will let you know." Kate said and Jacob nodded.

"Copy that. Let me know if you need any help." Jacob said and Kate nodded.

"Will do." Kate said as Jacob left.

"So, you want your dad to retrain Wayne Security?" Luke asked.

"If I'm going to reboot this company, then I need to make sure that it's security can actually protect our assets, since I'm a bit busy protecting the city." Kate said.

"Fair enough. And speaking of, while you were talking to your dad, I finished doing an inventory of this place and confirmed that the railgun is missing." Luke said.

"I still don't know what Bruce was thinking storing something like that outside the Bat cave. It's too risky." Kate said.

"Only person who truly knows and understands what goes on in Bruce's head is Bruce and honestly, there are times I'm not even sure he understood what went on in his head." Luke said.

"Fair point. I gave up trying to understand Bruce years ago." Kate said.

"Smart move. But anyways, now are you going to go kick Tommy's ass?" Luke asked.

"First, I'm going in as Kate Kane to confirm that he has the gun. Once I do that, then I'll put him in Arkham where he belongs. In the meantime, why don't you do some digging, see if you can find any incriminating evidence in his computers. We both know Tommy's one of those cocky assholes who thinks he's too clever to get caught. Which means he's bound to have proof on his computers." Kate said and Luke nodded.

"Luckily we have plenty of gadgets for that." Luke said and Kate smiled.

"It is going to be so satisfying to put him behind bars again." Kate said.

"I bet." Luke agreed.

When Kate returned to her office, she found that she didn't even need to go to Tommy Elliot, since he'd come to her.

"I think you're trespassing." Kate said.

"Oh come on Candy Kane." Tommy said.

"Tommy, next time call first." Kate said.

"Whoa, what's got you so worked up?" Tommy asked and Kate had to stop herself from saying you.

"Dealing with a breakin at Wayne R&D. Someone stole a specialized firearm." Kate said.

"Really. That sucks." Tommy said.

"Yeah, well, what sucks even more is that all firearms produced by Wayne R&D have embedded trackers in them. So it's only a matter of time until the thief has Wayne Security, GCPD and the Crows." Kate said, knowing that Tommy wouldn't know she was lying.

"Really. Well then, I'm sure it will turn up." Tommy said.

"So anyways, what brought you here?" Kate asked.

"I just came to invite you to this bash I'm holding tomorrow night to celebrate my finally becoming richer than Bruce Wayne." Tommy said and Kate couldn't help but roll her eyes, since Tommy's wealth was about to come to an end.

"I'll be there." Kate promised, since she would be there to take him down as he walked out of her office, but not before she clapped his shoulder to say goodbye.

"Wow, I'd actually forgotten how much of an ass he is." Kate said as Luke entered her office.

"Well, the bug is in place. As soon as he gets back to his office, I can use it to access his files and security system." Luke said.

"Good. By the time I get to Tommy's party, we should have everything we need to take him down." Kate said and Luke nodded.