Chapter 28

Kate was on her way back towards her apartment when her phone rang.

"Luke, what's going on?" Kate asked.

"Remember how we decided to put the members of the unholy cabal under surveillance?" Luke asked.

"Yeah why?" Kate asked, though she was already changing directions to get her suit and she made a mental note to take her suit to Cisco to see if he could make her one of those rings for heroes that way she could cut out the extra trip.

"Well, I think the Executioner might be making his first move." Luke said.

"Which bastard is he going after first." Kate asked.

"Same one he did last time. Stanton." Luke said.

"I'm on my way in now. Have a location ready for me to go." Kate said.

"You got it." Luke said.

"See you soon." Kate said.

"Looking forward to watching you kick the executioner's ass again." Luke said.

"Actually, I'm hoping to avoid an ass kicking." Kate said.

"Who are you and what have you done with Kate Kane?" Luke asked.

"What I mean is that killing Stanton and the others, that's letting them off too easily. I say we send them all to Blackgate and let them rot there among all the people they wrongfully sentenced there as well. I have a feeling that will be more than punishment enough." Kate said.

"Okay, that sounds more like you." Luke acknowledged and Kate rolled her eyes.

Angus Stanton was on his way out to his car when he barely managed to dodge an electrical pole that did hit his car.

"What the hell? This thing was brand new?" Angus demanded, pissed off.

"Angus Stanton." a strange voice said and Stanton turned to see a man dressed like an old timey executioner standing next to a fire hydrant, holding an axe.

"Did you do this?" Stanton asked.

"Be lucky it wasn't your skull I sliced open." the man said.

"Who are you?" Stanton asked.

"I'm the Executioner." The Executioner said.

"Catchy name. But what do you want?" Stanton asked.

"For you to pay for you crimes." Executioner said.

"What are you talking about? I'm a member of the DA's office. I put criminals behind bars." Stanton said.

"And how many of those criminals were actually guilty?" Executioner questioned.

"Why do you care? Even if they weren't guilty of what I charged them with, I'm sure they were guilty of something." Stanton said.

"You rich, entitled bastard. This city needs saving from scum like you. I am your judge. I am your jury. I am your Executioner and you, Angus Stanton, have been found guilty. Time to face your sentence." Executioner shouted as he brought his axe down, but before it could hit the fire hydrant, it was knocked astray by a batarang as Batwoman swung in to save the day.

"Stand down." Batwoman said.

"Of course you're defending him. You don't even know what he's done." Executioner said.

'"I know a bit more than you think. I know about him and his little cabal with Donnelly and Calverick." Batwoman said.

"And yet you still defend him? Why?" Executioner demanded.

"I'm stopping you to defend him. I'm stopping you because killing him would be letting him off too easily. He and the others need to be caged with those they sentenced. After all, the ones they wronged should be the ones who dole out punishment don't you think? Look, you will go to prison for this, but right now, it's only attempted murder, that means there's a chance you could get your freedom someday, though you might need to get mental help, but if you kill him, then that's it. You're just the next innocent man Angus Stanton turned into a criminal." Batwoman said.

"I'm already a criminal." Executioner said as he removed his hood to reveal the face of Bertrand Eldon.

"I was Blackgate's executioner. I pulled the switch on countless people, most of whom turned out to be innocent. That man and his colleagues turned me into a murderer." Eldon said.

"Maybe so. But you had no control over that. But now you have a choice. There is enough blood on your hands as it is. Right now, every death you've caused can simply be attributed to you trying to do your job. But this, this is cold blooded murder. Do you really want that on your conscience?" Batwoman asked as she took the axe away from him.

"I just wanted him to pay." Eldon said.

"And he will. They all will." Batwoman said as she fired her grappling hook behind her and trapped him trying to flee Stanton and pulled him towards her.

"Time to pay for your crimes." Batwoman said as she knelt down in front of him, savoring every minute of this, since this time, no one was dying and justice was still being served.