Chapter 12: Keefe

Keefe started into space, stunned.  "Are you sure?" He asked Marella. 

"Well, I'm pretty sure. They were holding hands and walking at the park, soo," Marella shrugged.  "Don't worry, Keefe. I'm pretty sure Sophie didn't mean to hurt your feelings." 

Keefe sat down on the bench to take a breath. He couldn't believe what just happened. Sophie? Dating Fitz? Without telling him? Keefe marched to Sophie's house to give her a piece of his mind.  Sophie and Fitz are not getting away with this!  She's supposed to be dating me!!

                                                                            ******************

Keefe rang the doorbell.  "Foster!" He yelled.  It was a few minutes before Sophie answered the door. She looked surprised to see Keefe.  

"I can't believe you! I thought you were a friend! I thought we were meant to be more than a friend!" Keefe shouted in front of Sophie's face. 

Sophie was startled. "Keefe-" 

"No excuses! You should have seen my face when Marella told me you and Fitz were dating!!!!!" Keefe yelled, tears forming in his eyes. 

"No, Keefe. Fitz and are not more than friends! We are just friends, okay? Marella is just gossiping and spreading rumors!" Sophie protested. She looked Keefe in the eye. 

Keefe blushed. "Well, that's not what I heard." He tried to turn into his old self again, but Keefe was hurt and confused at the same time. 

"I know. Why don't you come in and sit down so we can talk about it?" Sophie asked softly. She pulled Keefe into her house. 

"Okay, sure. You can stop acting nice to me, Foster," Keefe tried to joke. But he could clearly tell it wasn't funny.  Keefe sat down next to Sophie. 

"So..um. Fitz and I were at Cress bakery, and um, he asked me to walk with him but-" Sophie began. 

"But you said no because you like me better?" Keefe guessed hopefully. He frowned when Sophie shot him a dirty look. 

"But he held my hand which I totally wasn't expecting, and then Marella just appeared out of nowhere and said that Fitz and I are a couple like she's the boss of my relationship with Fitz," Sophie said in disgust. Then she looked at Keefe. "Do you believe me?"

Keefe wanted to say "no". But he knew Sophie was telling the truth. "I guess," Keefe mumbled. He was angry at Fitz for holding hands with his true love. They would need to discuss this over. 

                                                                               ********************