Chapter 15 - A Sudden Tennis Encounter

I was currently riding a train to Tokyo wearing an oversized hoodie, sneakers, and shorts. I told my brother that I would be arriving in the city in the early afternoon so we could hang out the day before his game. After his game I would spend a few more hours in Tokyo before taking a late afternoon train back to Miyagi. The train soon stopped at my station and I forced myself off, trying to not bump into any of the passengers who were going on the train. My feet hit against the solid ground and I smiled to myself as I readjusted my hold on my sling bag which held two days worth of travel supplies.

"Now where the hell do I go now?" I blurted out as I looked around, internally crying that I wasted all my phone battery playing otome games during the train ride.

Weakness #1 : I have a terrible sense of direction.

I guess I'll walk around and ask some people for directions, I thought to myself and started to move out of the station and into the open. I walked for a while, taking in my surroundings, trying to remember some scenery from when I lived in the city. I smiled slightly when I saw a tennis court and players warming up.

"ARE YOU SERIOUS?!" a male's voice shouted and I flinched from how sudden it was. I looked over to see a boy with messy black hair and green eyes. He was wearing sports wear and had a tennis racket bag on his back. He seemed to be distressed as he talked to someone who looked like a tournament organizer.

"I-I'm sorry, but this is a doubles tournament, you will need a partner to enter," the man said to the boy and he groaned.

"My partner is running late! Can I just play by myself until he gets here?!" the boy asked, desperation in his voice.

I feel bad, I thought to myself and walked over to the two. "Um sorry to interrupt," I said and the two looked over to me. "He just needs a partner until he comes right?" the man nodded. "I can sub in until he comes." I looked toward the boy. "That's okay with you right?"

He smiled brightly and nodded. "Yes please! We can do that right?!" He turned towards the man with sparkling eyes.

"Y-Yes, then please sign up here with your team name," the man said and handed me a sheet of paper with a pen. I signed my name before handing it to the boy. With that, we were in the tournament.

"I owe you one!" the boy said to me and I waved my hand in the air.

"It's fine," I replied and smiled. "I"m Kise (Y/N). You can call me (Y/N)."

"I'm Kirihara Akaya! Nice to meet you (Y/N)," Akaya said and we shook hands. He then looked over at the bag I was carrying. "Did you just arrive in Tokyo?"

"Yeah, I'm visiting my brother for a day," I explained. "I'm lost so I decided to walk around and that was when I heard you shouting." He flushed slightly. "I mean I said I'll help, but do you have an extra racket or something?"

"Oh yeah," he said and unzipped his bag and handed me an extra racket. I grabbed it and put my hand around the grip, getting used to its size. I couldn't fully put my hand around it.

"Do you know how to play tennis?" Akaya asked, an eyebrow raised and I smiled.

"Used to dabble with it in the past." I spun the racket around in my left hand. "It was actually the first sport I played, Akaya."

He hummed and then suddenly whipped his head towards me. "Akaya?"

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Am I not allowed to call you that?"

"Nah, it's fine." He shrugged his shoulders and we placed our bags on the side and walked to the courts to warm-up. "So you're left handed (Y/N)?"