Comfort

Chapter 5 

Comfort

ALEX.

Jay and Max went to the other boys' rooms. After a few yells and irritated bellows, they were all standing in the living room in 10 seconds flat.

In their jammies.

I would've laughed.

"What has Nathan got himself into again?"Siva remarked, running a hand through his hair, leaving it messier.

Max sighed. "I don't know. The hospital called me, saying we need to get down there immediately. Right, get some pants on, chaps. We can't go there in our boxers."

I fought back a laugh. He had a point.

"Alex, is this okay with you?" Jay asked anxiously.

I nodded. "Of course. My parents aren't home, anyway."

While the boys rushed to get dressed, Jay and I cleaned up.

"Does this happen often?" I ask, putting away our empty ice cream cups.

"Usually it's the cops, but the doctors? He's definitely kicked it up a notch." He replies, shaking his head.

"Well, this is a nice way to end our pretend-date."

I smile at how adorable he's being. I reach up, making him look me in the eyes. "It's okay. You're the sweetest guy ever, I couldn't ask for more."

He blushes. By the way I'm acting, you'd actually think we're dating.

"I appreciate the comment, Alex, but I must say, you are quite the actress."

I chuckle. "I wasn't acting, Jay. I meant it."

He opened his mouth to speak, his cheeks turning even redder, but was cut off when Tom entered the room.

"Okay, lovebirds. Quit it. You can make out later." He says, winking at us.

We both stood there, our mouths hanging open, taken aback by his comment.

"Yes, yes, we get it. Now get your asses outta here, Nathan needs us." Max interrupted, opening the door, snapping his fingers at us, motioning for us to hurry up.

Jay and I brought up the rear.

"Is he always this concerned?" I ask, looking up at him.

He chuckles. "No. Honestly, I have no idea why he's acting like this."

"We're taking the van, people. Double-time!" Max bellowed, making us all jump.

This ought to be an interesting night.

~

I thought seeing Nathan in a hospital bed wouldn't affect me that much.

I was wrong.

When I saw him, worry and panic welled up inside my chest, like a big tumor.

His left arm was in a cast. His cheek had a really bad gash across it. And since the form of a bandage can be seen in his hospital gown, i'm guessing he had a cut (or something) there too. Did I mention the nasty-looking bruise on his forehead?

"Mr. Sykes's car got into an accident, when another vehicle ran the red light, causing it to crash into him. He suffered a broken arm, a few wounds, and two broken ribs-"

Two broken ribs. This is some serious stuff.

"-These things take time to heal, especially his broken ribs, so I'm guessing he has to refrain from singing and other tedious tasks. Here's his medications, and prescriptions. I'll leave you alone with him now."