What about us?

Chapter 23  

What about us?

ALEX.

I held the ice cream cup tighter and dug my spoon in. Jay chuckled.

"You're not worried bout gaining weight, huh?" He asked, pointing to my Ben and Jerry's. "Most girls won't even touch those things."

"One: Not true," I waved my spoon at him. "And Two: I love ice cream too much. I can burn it off after a few backflips at the gym."

He shrugged.

Here we were, at the flat, just chilling. The other guys had gone to the market, so we were alone. Nathan, however, still hadn't set foot here after what had happened at the hospital.

I wasn't crying anymore. Maybe it was the ice cream, I don't know.

I was still pissed. Hurt, even. Di he seriously think I could do that to him, after all this time? That's just bullshit.

Sighing, I shoved another spoonful of strawberry ice cream in my mouth.

Jay must've noticed my expression, since he sat up and placed a comforting arm around my shoulders.

"It's okay, Lex. We all know you can't do what he said," He said, grinning at me.

"Was that an insult?"

"No. But yeah, you love him. He's pretty stupid to think you could do that. And I respect you both too much."

I snorted. "Then why did he say it? I feel dirty. Like in his eyes, I'm a sl-"

"Stop it, okay? You're not," He stood up, straightened his shirt, and headed upstairs into his room. "You up for a movie?"

"Anything BUT Avatar." I poked my tongue out at him. He wrinkled his nose.

"Fine. You're lucky today."

"I am SO not."

~

NATHAN.

It took me a lot to go back to the flat.

It was already 3 in the afternoon. I had spent several hours at the pub, drinking my problems away. My head was throbbing, but I was still on the fine line between drunk and sober.

Taking a deep breath, I turned the knob.

And a pang of pain immediately shot through me.

Lying on the couch was Jay. In his arms was Alex, yet again. They had obviously fallen asleep through a movie, since pizza boxes, Coke cans and a bowl of popcorn littered the living room.

That should be me, holding her in my arms.

But after what I said? I don't think she'll even want to be in the same room as I am.

To my horror, the both of them stirred. I had the intention of sneaking in and locking myself in my room, but screw that. I can't run up the stairs now.

When her green eyes met mine, they darkened.

Jay looked back and forth between us, as if he expected another face-off.

Alex cleared her throat.

"I gotta go, Jay. I'll call you if I can drop by," She mumbled, picking up her bag and brushing past me. She looked indifferent. Like she didn't care anymore.

Before I knew it, I had run after her.

"Alex, wait!" I called, running faster to keep up with her. This girl walks pretty fast.

She didn't stop and/or heed to my calls.

"Alex, please stop!"

She turned around to face me, a scowl plastered on her face.

I usually loved the way she looked when she's pissed. She looked so fierce. I just wish her expression wasn't directed toward me.

"What?"

"I'm sorry," I panted. "You know I didn't mean everything I said."

"Then why did you have to say it? Nathan, I don't know what's gotten into you these days."

"I told you, I'm sorry. It's all just the alcohol speaking."

"Yeah. And you seriously expect me to accept that in one go? You accused me of getting fucked up by Jay when you've been doing the exact same thing to another girl. Wow. You're such a hypocrite. And I don't get the point of you not wanting to let me go here."

I ran my hands through my hair.

"First, I didn't do 'it' with Alicia. It was just a mere make-out session. She stopped me. And second, I didn't want you to go here because I wanted it to be special. It was all just for good intentions."

She rolled her eyes. "So if Alicia didn't stop you, you'd do it then? And gods, again, I repeat. I WANTED TO SEE HOW JAY WAS DOING. IT WAS AN EMERGENCY."

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to do an say any of it. You know I love you. Please don't do this to us." I begged. Tears stung my eyes. I can't let one mistake, one fight ruin us.

She sighed. "I just need some space. That's all. Maybe I can still find the heart to forgive you."

I hung my head. "What about us?"

"I didn't ask for a break up. I only need space, Nath. That's all. We don't have to break this up."

And without another word, she began walking away.

Every step was a dagger to my heart.

"We can work this out," I whispered. A tear rolled down my cheek. "I'm so sorry."

~

A/N: Aww. I'm sorry this is insanely short. Don't worry. The next one WILL be better, I promise. (:

Smile. I love all of you. ❤ THANK YOU FOR THE 4000 READS! ❤❤❤ :>