Happily Never After

Chapter 24  

Happily Never After

ALEX.

During the next few days, the guys (Except Nathan. He's been avoiding me even more.) took me out to London, to major tourist spots. It was amazing. They were also more than eager to help me with my worksheets and even stayed up with me to review. It was fun and all, but there was still signs of Jay's illness that kept us up sometimes.

Before I knew it, I was going home tomorrow.

They had dropped by my hotel and was now chilling in my room, watching a movie. I was in the middle of packing when Jay pulled me aside.

"What's wrong?" I asked, looking up into his eyes. He smiled at me and tucked a strand of loose hair behind my ear.

"Thank you so much," He whispered, taking me into his arms. "You risked, your, um..."

He seemed awkward, so I decided to help him spit the word out.

"What, relationship?"

"Yeah. For me." He sighed uneasily. "Look, if everything doesn't work out, I'm sorry-"

"You don't have anything to apologize for, Jay," I replied, looking down and fidgeting with a piece of tissue paper in my hands. "The whole thing isn't your fault."

"But... Alex, the old Nathan WILL come back if this doesn't work out. Then it's back to Square one again. He's been shady lately, and is rarely in the house. We don't know where he's going or what he's doing. You know what to do Alex. Do it for all of us."

I sighed. "So I'm still the one who needs to approach him first? Why can't he swallow his damn pride and let it be him for a change?"

Jay looked startled by my sudden outburst, so I dropped the tissue and wrapped my arms around him in turn.

"I'm sorry for snapping," I apologized, burying my head into his chest. "It's just... It began from a simple argument. We could've worked it out."

"I know," He stroked my hair. "It'll all be alright."

I remembered the day Nathan got into a car accident. I broke down in hysterics, and Jay was there for me. They were there through it all. Max, Tom, Siva, too.

"Jay?"

"Hm?"

"Thank you. To all of you, too. We've been through so much together, it's amazing. Thank you so much."

He chuckled. "You sound like you're gonna leave us permanently."

I opened my mouth to speak, but then Max intervened.

"Guys... Nathan's outside."

~

Shit.

"Should we leave you two alone?" Tom asked, preparing to leave.

I grabbed his arm. "NO! Please stay. I need you guys!"

"Guuyyys, we need to open the door," Siva remarked.

"I know. Just please don't leave."

Max patted my shoulder. "We won't."

"Great. I'm gonna open the door, you guys act natural."

I straightened my sweater, made sure I looked decent, and checked the guys on the couch. They all gave me thumbs-up, and resumed watching TV. Then I made my way to the door. Taking a deep breath, I pulled it open.

And was immediately greeted by a fidgety, nervous, and uneasy Nathan.

"I'm sorry," Nathan mumbled. He took a deep breath, then took me into his arms. "Whatever happens, I want you to know that I love you, okay? And I'm completely sorry for what I did. It wasn't rational, and I was too selfish."