New Beginnings

Replace Your Heart 

Chapter 25  

New Beginnings

NATHAN.

Tears streamed silently down my face. I clutched the bottle tightly in my hand, then reached up and took a swig of the alcohol. The burning feeling in my throat made me forget about the pain for a while, but after a few minutes, it returned again.

This is one of those nights. Those nights when I longed to have her in my arms. Those nights when the hollow feeling when she left feels ridiculously vivid.

It's been three months. How can I not forget her?

How could I have been so stupid? Our relationship was going great, we worked out tiny problems. But what the hell happened now? Everything snowballed, and it hit me right in the face. Now here we are, not talking, no communication whatsoever.

I miss her. I miss her so bad.

"Nath? You ready?" A female voice called from the doorway of the kitchen. I looked up, and her smile immediately dropped.

"You're drunk, aren't you?" She asked, arching an eyebrow at me.

Alicia's an amazing girl, but right now, I needed Alex. Not her.

I sighed, then dropped the bottle into the nearby bin and grabbed my jacket.

"I'm not, Ali. Come on, we'll be late." I replied, wrapping an arm around her waist and leading her out.

Lying came to me easily these days.

"I'm driving," She said, a playful smirk on her face. "We need to get to the party in one piece."

Oh, right. I can't go there and show my face to my mother when I'm all hammered, right?

But I have to.

Suck it up, Sykes. Be a man.

* * * *

"Oh look, 'lil Nath's finally here!" Jay exclaimed. His voice, and the music (even though it's slightly mellow) made my head pound. Shit, not now.

The party was in full swing. Our families were milling around the flat, talking to each other.

"Nathan!" My mother squealed, approaching me and taking my face in her hands. "You've grown so much!"

"Yeah, and he still looks like a sloth. Puberty DID NOT do you well, brother." Jess smirked. I rolled my eyes at her.

"Nice to see you too, Jess."

"Oh, this must be Alicia!" Mom squealed again. They both immediately hit it off, and after a while, I got pretty bored. I excused myself, and slinked off to the kitchen. It was the nearest quiet place I knew.

And holy shit, I DID NOT expect to see her there.

* * * *

Our expressions matched each other. Mouths wide open, eyes big as saucers.

She was the first to recover, dropping the sandwich she was meaning to take a bite out of back on the plate.

"Nathan?"

I took a second look at her. Green eyes, long, wavy brown hair flowing down her back, full lips good enough to kiss, red lace(ish) dress and her trusty black vans. (Lord knows she wouldn't wear heels again)

Yep. This sure is the Alex Meyer I know.

"Alex?"

I usually don't give in to my instincts, especially in situations like this, but today, I lost all control. I lunged forward and wrapped her in my arms.