After-hour Emergencies

Chapter 21 

After-hour emergencies

ALEX.

It seemed as if the birds singing in the trees came to a halt, the wind stopped blowing, and everyone instantly stopped what they were doing.

Amidst all that, I began laughing, earning weird looks from both Kaylee and Grace.

"What's happening to you? Jay's in the hospital!" She said, a look of disbelief plastered on her face.

I stopped abruptly. "You were serious?"

"No shit, sherlock," She replied, waving her phone in front of my face. "Read it."

Heart thumping in my chest, I scanned the article.

"The Wanted's Jay McGuiness was rushed to a nearby hospital last week, after complaints of severe abdominal pain and other symptoms. If fellow band mate, Nathan Sykes, hadn't found him, who knows what would've happened? They, however, still has no official statement on Mr. McGuiness's condition...."

I dropped the phone onto the table, numbed with shock.

It's been a week.

How could I have not known this?

~

A gust of the cold morning air greeted me as I stepped into the rooftop of the dorm. It was still dark out, the sun wasn't even up yet.

I had woken up an hour ago, and after numerous attempts of trying to go back to sleep, I decided to quit it. My mind was reeling, I couldn't stop thinking of what I'd just found out.

What happened to Jay? 

Why didn't they tell me?

The week before, I lived a normal life. I aced the tests and did normal college girl... stuff. I just enjoyed myself, knowing that the guys are all well, and making hits. I didn't have anything to worry about. Until it came.

It was like a blow to the stomach.

It was one of my fears, confirmed.

I have to see him. I have to know what's going on.

But believe it or not, my greatest obstacle was actually the one most important to me.

Nathan wouldn't let me fly to the UK just because of Jay.

I indian-sat on the cement, staring at the horizon. It was slowly coming to life. The sky blazed different colors: pink, yellow, orange. The sun peeked through. It was an amazing sight.

They say that daybreak is the best time to make decisions.

A sudden rush of adrenaline pumped in my veins.

I knew what I had to do.

~

"No."

I fella back onto my bed with a groan, still pressing the phone to my ear. Nathan uttered that word, then everything, every cinch of hope I had for seeing Jay disappeared into thin air.

"Why not?" I whined. He sighed on the other end.

"Because, your semester doesn't end until Saturday, and I don't want you rushing over here, just like that. I also heard from Kaylee that you have four more exams. This is your dream, your future. Don't throw it away, just because one of us got hurt."

"So you're saying I shouldn't be concerned?"

"It's not like that, Alex," He said, frustration evident in his voice. "I just don't want you to be distracted."