Chapter 26: The mystery well

Hi! Don't forget to vote and comment when you finish reading, thank you!
_______________________________________________________________________

I made it to the training grounds early in hopes of catching Barbara off guard. But as usual she had beaten me to it, sitting on the grass, unperturbed.

"Urgh, how do you do it?" I groaned and fell beside her.

"There are C-rank genjutsu seals all over the place. Even if they were to recognise them, they won't be able to break it." She replied, ignoring my previous statement.

"Are you sure? C-rank is kinda low."

She gave me a small smile. "Of course they are. But they wouldn't know that."

At my confused expression she smirked. "Lets just say the seals have been customized into a different language."

I blinked. That was actually smart of her. They'd probably think its a high class jutsu and spend the rest of the day trying to decode it instead  of muttering 'kai'.

Huh

"So, are we sparing or what?" The words came freely as the unknown weight of being watched lifted.

"No, today we're going to talk."

I shifted into a sitting position. "Well, if that's the case..."

I told her about the my training, about Nagato and I being semi-rivals and about Yahiko and Konan. Then Tsunade and my summonings.

I spoke about the beavers and what I'd learned about Energy Holders. Then about my experience in Prinid Void.

"...speaking of which Methuselah guy said you came before me. Does that mean you have a devil fruit too?"

Barbara shrugged. "Does it matter?"

I could almost feel my jaw drop. "Of course it does! Do you even know what this means. We're basically OOP now!"

"It wouldn't matter if you don't know how to use it. You said you have the ope ope no mi? Its basically useless in your hands since you don't have any medical knowledge. Methuselah didn't give us a boost, he gave us a liability."

This time my jaw did drop. Oh how I hated it. I hated how she was right. The old man had basically dropped a dead weight on our shoulders.

At that moment, I missed the feel of swimming.

A groan escaped my lips and I hit the ground in frustration. This was just too much.

"What do we do now Barb?"

"What we always do, train."

I huffed and crossed my arms, then uncrossed them. "So how was your three years? Did you manage to find your guy."

I did not notice the way her muscles stiffened, mind still sulking about the devil fruit.

"Yeah..."

"Seriously? Who was it?"

"Someone."

I felt like ripping her hair off. "Really Barb? Why do you always like to keep me in suspense?"

She shrugged.

"Come on Barb, just tell me. Who was it?"

"Lu."

"Do I know him?"

"Lucy-"

"Is he strong? Is he one of the main characters? Is he a villain? *gasps* Does he die?-"