The Trial; 3

6 months later

It's been 6 months since the trial started. Baatar Jr's trial has been postponed until after Kuvira's since Kuvira pleaded 'not guilty." Her trial so far has been agonizingly slow, and I have yet to testify. Her lawyers have been playing hard ball, and I'm not going to lie, it doesn't look very good for us. Actually, Kuvira's team decided to file a countersuit claim towards Korra, Raiko, and Suyin for defamation and something about about neglecting both cities, some crap like that. I'm rolling my eyes already if you can't tell.

Having to relive those events told by the victims and Kuvira's team has been traumatic. I admit, I haven't been in the best head space these past months. Kuvira's lawyers are just as evil, and if not more, more manipulative than she is. We've listened to multiple families get up there and talk about how Kuvira messed up not just their lives, but the lives that were taken away because of Kuvira's spirit weapon, and yet they still managed to twist their words, and somehow admit that Kuvira wasn't at fault, just like they did to Edna. Hearing their stories has been really hard for me. At one point it got so bad that I had to have someone sleep with me because I had these terrifying nightmares that would end up with me unintentionally hurting myself, which explains the scratch around my eye (author- I really put my real life in this part, oop). Thank goodness Bolin loves sleepovers. Just hearing their stories triggered my own memories.

"So, are you ready?" Huan asks me. I look at him confusingly.

What is he talking about?

"You know, to testify?"

"I'm not testifying today?"

I wasn't told I was testifying. How could he possibly know that? Does everyone know?

"Huan, give us a minute," I hear a voice from behind say. I turn around to see Suyin. Huan leaves and now it's just us.

"Su, what is he talking about? Am I testifying today?"

"I was going to tell you, but I didn't want you to worry. I know you've been having a hard time lately with this trial. I'm sorry, Li Na."

"What am I going to do?" I ask worried.

I've seen what Kuvira and her lawyers have done to people. What if they manipulate me, or twist my words to make it seem like I'm going against Korra? I should've been more prepared.

"Listen to me, I'm going to tell you what I would tell my own children, because I think of you as my daughter. Go in there and give it your all. Your truth is enough to shut this whole trial down. I know you're scared, but you can do it!"

I sigh and put my head down. It's nice that she believes in me, and it's nice to hear someone call me there daughter. I've been without my mother for a long time now... And I know this has nothing to do with the trial, but it means a lot to me.

"I'll try. Thank you, Suyin."

...

Back again in the court room, an atmosphere I've become so use to these past months. Once again I'm sitting between Mako and Wei, with our families and friends next to us. My leg bounces up and down in anticipation as I wait to be called to the stand.

"You're nervous," Mako whispers to me.

"How can you tell?" I ask.

"Your leg hasn't stop hitting mine since we sat down."

"I'm sorry," I apologize. "You're right, I am nervous. I wasn't planning to testify today."

"You're what?!" He whisper yells.

"Yeah, Huan let it slip. It's a long story, I'll tell you later."

The trial starts and yes, I know what Suyin told me, but I'm still so nervous. Kuvira said she'd accept any punishment they'd see fit for her, and once again, she's doing everything her power to avoid her repercussions.