The Trial; 2

A/N before you read this chapter, I do not know anything about how real court hearings go. All I can say is, I've watched Judge Judy a few times, so I hope that explains just how much I know about this stiff, so don't expect this to be 100% like a real trial. Enjoy!

...

I'm sandwiched between Mako and Wei, and next to Mako is Bolin, Asami, Korra, and Tenzin's family, including Kai. Sitting next to Wei is Wing and the rest of his family...including Baatar jr. He has some nerve. The court room is filled with not just the council and Raiko, but Lin and many of the families that were affected by Kuvira and her spirit weapons are also here. There's also citizens, reporters, and many other people who just want answers and are standing outside and waiting for something to happen. Looking at all the families she's affected makes me so upset, and the empathy I once felt for her is slowly dwindling.

I watch closely as Kuvira enters the room. I feel like it's sinking. Of course I've been really anxious, why wouldn't I be? This trial is really important, and I know how good Kuvira is at manipulating people. What if she does that to the jury, or to the judge? We'd have to watch her forever if she were released. Why can't they just lock her up with Zaheer? He could use the company... Actually, scratch that. That's would be a terrible idea.

The judge enters the court room, and we all stand. I study him closely as he smiles at Kuvira and gestures for us, the court, to sit down. 'What the hell!' I think to myself. Why did he do that? Am I missing something?

"I know that guy," Wei leans over to me and whispers in my ear. I look at him startled.

"Who is he?" I ask.

"He's one of the best judges Zaofu has... He was also one of Kuvira's supporters."

"Oh my goodness," I gasp.

This is horrible! How could this happen? How could Suyin let this happen? Does she even know? I really hope he isn't bias- but he just smiled at he!

"Kuvira, what do you plead?" The judge asks her.

We all lean forward in anticipation for her answer. If she pleads not guilty, then this trial is going to be a lot longer than anticipated. I know this is a huge trial, and it's not going to be over in a day because we still have Baatar Jr's and the rest of their team, but if Kuvira decided that she thinks what she did was necessary, that's a whole new case that's going to be much harder fight.

"I plead.."
.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"Not guilty."

The entire court room gasps, and I grab my brothers hand and squeeze it, trying to relieve the anxiety that I'm feeling. My chest begins to rise and fall faster than I'd like. I begin to sweat. My eyes become blurry. You can't cry, Li Na. You can't let her see you cry.

"You know what you did! How can you do this to our family, and all of these people you've hurt!?"

I turn around suddenly hearing Suyin yell.

"Look what you did to Li Na! How can you live with yourself!?"

The court becomes loud as we all yell out our frustrations. Everyone is clearly upset about this, and clearly so am I, but I'm going to say all that I have to say when it's my turn to testify. Today only a few of her victims are testifying, so I won't be getting up there today, but it's coming.

"Order in the court! I said order!" The judge yells.

"Sir, I'd like to say something," Kuvira says strongly.

I haven't heard her voice in months.

"Proceed," he allows.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I know how you must feel about me, but please, hear me out. I understand a lot of you are hurt at the lost of your homes and loved ones, but what happened had to be done. Look at us all here today, the circumstances aren't the best, but we're together, and that's all I've wanted for our kingdom; to be united." She then turns to the jury. "Now ask yourself, did I really fail? Or did I do what I had to in order for us to come together?"

I watch in disbelief as the jury's face softens at her statement. I can't believe they're buying this! Is she actually saying what happened to Suyin's family, me, the mourning families affected by this was a necessary sacrifice?

She's horrible... She's sick!

...

"I'd like to call Edna to the stan," Kuvira's lawyer calls.

We all watch as a tiny old woman makes her way to the stan. In her arms she holds a picture frame, and on the photo is herself and a young man who I assume is her son.

"Hello, Edna. Can you tell me how you've been affected by Kuvira and her plan to reunite the people of the Earth Kingdom?"

"Well, I lived in Republic City since I was a little girl. I met my late husband there, and we had two beautiful children together. My daughter Leia and my son Bo. When I first heard about Kuvira and her plan to reunite the earth empire, I supported it because I was born in Ba Sing Se. But once I heard the Avatar came back and expressed her disapproval for Kuvira and her plan, I thought it would be better to trust her. I trusted Avatar Aang, so why not her? We, as in myself, my son, and my daughter were still evacuating when Kuvira attacked. My son was able to save my daughter and I from our building that was being destroyed by that big machine, but sadly, he could not save himself..."

I watch in horror as Edna quietly weeps at her recollection of her son's death. The fact she can get up there and share her story shows just how strong she is. First she lost her husband, and now her son? I'll never know what that kind of strength is because I wouldn't have been able to do it.

"I'm sorry for your loss," Kuvira's lawyer replies. "Now you said you at first supported Kuvira's plan, then the Avatar came back?"

"Yes. When I was a girl, I met Avatar Aang many, many years ago. He saved the Earth Nation from Firelord Ozai, so I trusted her to do the same."

"So because you were a fan, you let her convince you that she would handle it, but in the end, your son didn't make it. So would you say that the Avatar manipulated you and didn't hold up her end of the bargain?" The lawyer asks.

"No, I blame Kuvira and her spirit machine-"

"But Kuvira never said that people wouldn't get hurt. Her promise was to unite the Earth Kingdom, which she technically did."

"Yes, but-" she tries to continue but he cuts her off.

"And the only reason it escalated the way it did was because the Avatar and President Raiko refused to release the city, which is still Earth Kingdom territory. And let's not forget, it was Suyin and her family who tried to attack Kuvira when they agreed to a peaceful meeting. Correct?"

"I mean-"

"So wouldn't that mean that the destruction of your home and the unfortunate demise of your son is the result of Avatar Korra and the President of Republic City putting there citizens last instead of doing what's right and picking the best choice that results into keeping everyone safe? And after all, didn't they instead kidnap her fiance, and she had no other choice but to attack? This sounds like the result of carelessness and selfishness of the Avatar and the President instead, don't you think?"

With a huff and putting her head down in defeat, "I-I guess you're right," she says.

This isn't fair! He completely manipulated her, and he used her son's death in order to convince her that what Kuvira did was justified. I feel drained, and now that I know what we're up against... I'm really worried.

...